7. [her enigma]

━━━━━━━━━━

HER ENIGMA.

━━━━━━━━━━

   HAZEL FROZE, unable to produce any coherent words

HAZEL FROZE, unable to produce any coherent words. She stared helplessly back at Octavia, trying to come up with some sort of explanation. Finally, she managed to spout, "Octavia, you, you don't understand. I didn't know - "

"Don't tell me what I don't understand," the younger Blake's voice held a sharp, menacing tone. She took a step forwards, purposefully knocking her shoulder against Hazel's chest as she made her way past.

It wasn't my fault. I didn't know that would happen.

The mechanic continued to stare blankly at the forest floor, gritting her teeth together as she mulled over her never ending internal argument. Yes, she did set off that solar flare alarm. But how was she supposed to know it would result in the death of Aurora Blake?

"Hazel! Keep up!"

She twisted around to see that she had fallen quite far behind the rest of the group. Finn was waiting closer by, leaning casually against the trunk of a tree as Hazel approached him. He frowned as she got closer, noticing the dazed expression on his best-friend's face.

"You good?" he fell into step with her, keeping his voice hushed.

"Yeah," Hazel nodded quickly, "I'll be fine."

"If you say so."

Finn squeezed her arm briefly, offering a slight smile. He'd known Hazel long enough to realize she was far from fine. But he also knew her well enough to know she was a master of secrecy. If whatever was bothering her was something she didn't want to share, he could be sure he would never find out.

Hazel sucked in a deep breath, after reassuring herself over and over in her mind that Aurora Blake's death was not her fault. Maybe partially, but surely she wasn't the only one to blame.

"You know, if you ever want to talk about it, I'm always - "

"Thanks, Finn," Hazel cut him off, "one day."

He let out a sharp sigh. One day he'd put together the enigma that was Hazel Hudson. One day all of her reticence would make sense.

They came to a halt when they caught up with the rest of the group. Each of them stood perfectly still, watching Octavia. The impetuous teen had begun to slip off her pants, letting them fall into a heap on the ground.

"Um, did we miss something?" Hazel muttered, glancing over at Jasper.

The gangly boy merely shrugged, letting his jaw fall slack, "damn. I love Earth."

Clarke regained her composure, "Octavia! What the hell are you doing?"

Octavia ignored their comments, and took a confident step forwards. She plunged into the river below, the sound her splash echoing throughout the hushed forest. Instantly, everyone ran forwards, expecting to see her grasping the surface of the water for air.