Chapter 35

*Chapter 35*

Zaron

It was close to midnight when everyone returned home. Quentin insisted on going to his place, which got me a little curious but I didn't question it any further. As soon as we arrived, Quentin grabbed my hand and guided me in, moving towards his garden.

"Hey slow do-," I widened my eyes when I saw a small blanket cave, I always used to build when I was younger. Just that this one was way bigger and somehow more... romantic? So Quentin can be romantic?

"Happy birthday, Zaron," Quentin wrapped his arms around me from behind while I was still perplexed. "I never forgot our date," he let go and smiled.

"Wow," I marveled and before I could admire it any longer, Quentin pushed me in after forcing me to take my shoes of. "I didn't know you could be so romantic." I looked around, with pillows everywhere, making it even more cozy.

He smirked. "I didn't know what I should give you. Whether it was something meaningful or something materialistic. I ended up with both." In that moment he brought out a box, decorated with a red ribbon and handed it to me.

I curiously pulled the string to untie the ribbon and opened the box, just when my eyes widened. "That's... Quentin are you crazy?! Why did you just spend so much money on me?"

He just smiled at me like it was nothing as I was admiring the silver watch. "Because it is you."

A few seconds passed where I just looked at him before I engulfed him in a probably suffocating hug but at that moment it didn't matter to me. "Thank you."

"It's nothing," he waved away. "Uhm," he slowly pushed me down to a laying position and climbed on top of me before resting his head on my chest. I'm slowly getting the feeling that he likes that position a lot. "To be honest, I actually wanted to talk to you."

"Talk to me?" I raised my eyebrows and put an arm on his back.

"Rather tell you a few things, maybe it will help you understand." He hesitated. "You are the first to know, okay? And I'd appreciate it if it also stayed that way. Understood?" And once those words left his mouth, I was certain that it was something serious.

Therefore, I nodded. "But don't force your self."

"It's fine, really," he smiled. "So you already now, my family is... uhm different. Before, when I was really young, when I still had my Mom, I guess I was around seven or eight, I wasn't aware of it. I don't remember a lot of things but what I do remember is that Dad was never home, and every time I asked for him, she said "Dad is travelling around the world." I always wanted to travel with him. If I knew that she suffered the most from his absence, I'd have just shut up. And then one day, all of the sudden, Mom was gone. I cried so so much. I don't hate her for leaving us, but she could have at least said goodbye."

He sighed. "My oldest brother, Raven, he was eighteen at that time. He was there but he wasn't taking care of us, I don't know, he was just busy with himself. That's why Jin and Ramon mainly and partially Ace took care of me and Myles, I guess. I used to cry for every thing. But there was no one to really comfort me, everyone of us had their own problems. I, as the whining brat, was just getting on their nerves. It didn't take long for me to figure out that I had to deal with things myself. That's why I stopped relying on others too much."

"During middle school, I didn't have many friends. I was aware that no one sincerely liked me. Not that I minded. Actually, I couldn't care any less. I was just living my life. Though around my final year, there was one day where I really struggled, almost lost my life."

He buried his head in my shirt and gripped my arm that it almost hurt. But he was trembling so much that the pain almost instantly faded away.

"I was walking down the street on the way home, when... I don't really remember... I was dragged away to some rotten place and that man he- he did disgusting things to me
I wanted to forget everything so bad."