(Edited) Chapter 2 Part I

Start from the beginning

Sandra gets busy brushing her beautiful brown hair that hangs a little below her shoulder bone and lining her hazel eyes with an eyeliner."You should try this gel eyeliner by Maybelline, it is perfect!" Sandra exclaims, giving the liner to me. I outline my eyes nicely and smile at my reflection.

"Wow, you're right. This makes my eyes looks so big and dark—I like it!"

I'd also never thought I'd be friends with Sandra of all people. She can be rude and bitchy when she wants and very mean. Initially, she'd been like that with me. Not being as outspoken as I should have been, I hadn't argued back and had instead chosen to ignore her for as long as I could. Somehow, and I don't even remember how we ended up as friends.

This is our routine—we all meet when the bell rings for lunch and gossip near the lockers for some time before heading to the washroom. After this, we make our way to the cafeteria where we have a fixed table near one of the large windows that looks out into the garden. We sit there every day of every week. It's sort of monotonous but not really boring.

I smile faintly to myself as I take my usual seat. There was a time when I'd felt like a loner and had nowhere to sit. I used to wander from place to place, usually ending up spending my lunch hour in the library. That was in the beginning of ninth grade.

I remember my first day very well. It was really boring. I'd talked to Kayla that day, though. She was the first person who'd shown even a slight interest in me. She's really pretty (all my friends are) and has a dark blonde hair cut in a trendy pixie cut and bright green cat eyes. "Hey, mind if I sit here?" I had asked her during lunch. I had been nervous—very. While I was new and didn't know anyone in the small town of Ascot, a tiny coastal town, all of them had practically grown up together. It was a little unnerving.

"Oh, sure!" She had smiled enthusiastically at me and had shifted aside to give me some space. Everyone else had been busy talking among themselves, while I had just sat there, munching my food silently. This had probably been my second week here and I'd not come close to making any proper friends.

"So Scarlett; you're Scarlett, right?" Kayla had spoken up. I'd nodded in response. "Let me introduce you to everyone." She'll never know just how much I'd appreciated that. If it hadn't been for her, I would have never had the courage to introduce myself to all these people. Kayla had pointed to everyone sitting around the table one by one and had told me their names. I'd honestly not been able to remember a single name—except one.

"And this is Aiden." Kayla had said. Weirdly, his name had stuck in my mind long after. We'd awkwardly smiled at each other then and shook hands. And it's been over a year and I remember every tiny detail of that scene—how his hands had been slightly rough when I'd held it, how he looked slightly distracted when he smiled at me. How I'd felt this strange click somewhere deep in my chest, and had sat there frozen for a couple of seconds, just wondering what that had been. It had been a sign, telling me that my life was going to change—forever.

It still hasn't.

This old memory suddenly makes me straighten up as I remember something—I'm supposed to sit with Aiden today. He'd casually asked me yesterday if I'd like to sit with him during lunch sometime and I'd agreed. It'd be a nice change from sitting here with my girlfriends every day. I glance towards the table Aiden and I were supposed to sit at. It's empty at the moment. Humph! He isn't here yet.

"Oh my god, look who's here!" Sandra exclaims; her voice an excited whisper. Our eyes immediately snap in the direction Sandra is looking at; the very next second my friends dissolve in a fit of giggles. I, on the other hand, try really hard to not blush. William Hayden has just entered through the cafeteria doors, making his way towards the table he usually sits at. Four pairs of eyes follow his every move until he sits down and gets busy chatting with his friends.