(Edited) Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen

Scarlett

Susan says something to me. I'm busy doing differential calculus, the earphones are shoved inside my ears, and that's why I don't hear her. I take out an earphone and I turn to her enquiringly. "What?"

"I said, how long are you plan on staying like this?"

I roll my eyes and turn back around. "What's wrong with this? Studying is good."

"You've completely shifted into this shell, you know? You don't talk to anyone, you don't laugh anymore. You don't read books, which made you happy by the way. You've stopped listening to music. All you do is study all the time."

I want to tell her that this is me—this is me when I'm sad. I need to distract myself by doing something productive, something that doesn't need my emotional investment—like vigorously exercising to dance music or solving boring math problems. If I don't distract myself, I'll end up over-thinking about every tiny aspect of the situation.

I don't explain all this to Susan. Instead, I simply close my books, switch off my iPod and get up, stretching my arms wide. Heartbreaks do have their pros, like me completing all of my pending school work.

But then it has its cons—obviously. It's really hard, and it hurts like hell. But I know there's nothing I can do to change this situation. He's with her now. He's happy, and me...well, I could be better.

Ding. Dong.

Well, that has to be Sharon. I excuse myself and head downstairs to open the door. Sure enough, it's her. She comes inside, hugs me, and follows me upstairs to my room. Susan and Sharon greet each other. They recently met a couple of days back after all the drama that ensued with Aiden. They both were really worried about me and had come to my house to see me, and that's when they met each other.

No, I hadn't been an emotional wreck when they'd arrived. I'd just been really distant and emotionless—empty. So they'd forcefully made me watch 'My Best Friend's Wedding', and later on stayed for an impromptu sleepover. Damn those evil girls! The movie triggered my tear ducts, and I ended up crying like a baby after watching it.

After entering my room, Sharon drops a pile of papers onto my desk. "The notes from our chemistry teacher," she says.

"Thanks a million!"

I actually skipped school for two to three days, and Sharon has been bringing in all the work that I missed. Today was thankfully a Friday and so, I don't have to go to school until Monday.

Sharon plops down on the bed next to Susan. I turn back to the table and start going through the notes Sharon just brought.

"So anyway, I was wondering if you wanted to go to this party..." Sharon begins to speak.

Mine and Susan's head snap towards her at the same time. The only difference is, I groan while Susan gasps excitedly. "Oh my god, when is it?!" She exclaims.

"Today, and it's being hosted by Eric Tyler! You know Eric Tyler, right? He's kind of an idiot but he throws the best parties ever. We should totally go. Plus it's been a while since we've gone to a party. It'll be a nice change from all this dullness," Sharon replies. I make it a point to stay out of the conversation they are having. The last thing I need right now is a dumb ass party.

"Scar, I really think we should go. Especially you, Scarlett! It'll be a nice change for you after all that um, happened." I glare at her for almost mentioning the incident that happened with Aiden less than a month ago. It still hurts like a bitch. And only by constantly reminding myself to forget about it is keeping me sane.