(Edited) Chapter 1

Book trailer on the top ^

1

Scarlett

"Is she here yet?" I ask impatiently.

There are dozens things I could be doing right now. Dozens. I'm not even kidding. I could be working on that article I need to submit to our school newspaper this Friday. It's about the bad condition of the chemistry lab equipments. I could be huddled up in my friend Sharon's car, heading home. Or the best-lying on my bed, watching the latest episode of Pretty Little Liars.

But here I am instead, on the roof-top of the dilapidated brick building that I call school, waiting for Aiden's girlfriend-to-be.

Yes, you heard that right.

I still have difficulty using the words Aiden and girlfriend in the same sentence. It's certainly strange. For starters, he's never had a girlfriend before. Never. He's had plenty of opportunities, of course. What with girls throwing themselves at him, left and right. But he never felt the urge to take things further with any of them. So it had just been casual dating with a few hook ups here and then.

But suddenly one day Aiden's telling me about this girl he met at this party, and how they had this instant connection-as if that ever happens in real life-and how they've been dating all summer.

So what? I'd asked. You've dated plenty of girls before.

But it's different this time, he'd retorted.

Different how? Are her boobs bigger this time or what? I'd laughed, brushing it off.

I guess he'd taken that jest to heart, because he never mentioned her again. Of course, I'd assumed his silence as confirmation for what I'd known all along-that this was just another fling. Maybe it had lasted a little longer than most, but it was a fling all the same.

Turns out, I was wrong. A week ago, Aiden had come up to me, demanding my help. Apparently, he was going to ask this girl to be his girlfriend. Girlfriend! God, can you believe it? I knew I couldn't.

"Okay, okay, stop!" I'd exclaimed. "You almost got me there for a second. But honestly, drop it. It's not even that funny."

"It's not supposed to be funny. I'm being serious here, alright? I like Hailey and I'm going to ask her to be my girlfriend," Aiden had said. "I came to you because you're my best friend. But that was obviously a mistake."

My eyes had widened. So he was serious. Wow. "No! It wasn't a mistake," I'd reply. "It just took me by surprise, that's all. So tell me, who is this special girl?"

"You'll find out soon enough. What I need you to do is help me surprise her on her birthday, which is next week."

Aiden had wasted no time in telling me his plan. The detail and precision with which he related it made me realize that he had spent a lot of time thinking it through, trying to make it flawless. And that was saying something. Aiden's not a planner. This Hailey girl must be really special to him.

And apparently, she is. Because here is Aiden Walkers-cool and confident Aiden Walkers, hyperventilating over a girl. I'd never thought I'd see this day.

He's leaning against the railing. I think I told him to not do that at least five times already. It's prohibited to come up here. This place is always kept locked for safety reasons. But Aiden being his reckless self is refusing to budge. I keep worrying someone will spot us here and then it'll be detention for a week.