(Edited) Chapter 23 Part II

(...continued)

"Is there something on my face?" I ask Sharon, perplexed. She shakes her head, saying no. I look away from her, only to catch a group of girls staring at me. When they realize I've caught them in the act, they quickly turn away.

What is going on?!

I spot another pair hurriedly looking away as I turn in their direction. I turn to Sharon once again. "No seriously, is there something on my face? Or is it my hair? Is there something...wrong with me?" I smooth the creases on the navy colored frock I'm wearing.

What is everyone's problem!?

"Dude, you look completely fine. Why do you keep asking this?"

I sigh. "I don't know. Everyone keeps...staring," I mumble.

Sharon shrugs. "I don't see it, whatever they're seeing. You look normal enough. Maybe it's not you."

But ten minutes later, when Sharon has left for her early morning economics class the staring still hasn't stopped, and I have no idea why. It's not even blatant staring. It's hushed whispers and discreet glances. It's unnerving.

So I do the only thing that comes to my mind—I head to the washroom. Away from all the staring eyes, I examine myself in the mirror. There's nothing stuck in my hair, there is nothing on my face, and my clothes aren't bunched up or folded in someplace they shouldn't be. I look perfectly...normal. Then why—

The door to the washroom bursts open. My head snaps in the direction of the door, and lo and behold, I come face to face with none other than my ex best friend's girlfriend—Hailey. For a second or two we both just gape at each other. Then I force myself to look away, trying not to feel awkward.

What do I do now? Ignore her completely or talk to her indifferently? Taking to her would be like walking on treacherous grounds. It's no news that we both despise each other. To force a conversation between us would be pointless. I'd rather not engage in one. Sooner than later, we'll end up arguing. So I silently pray that she'll choose to ignore me and won't acknowledge my presence.

But of course, that doesn't happen.

Two minutes into touching up her makeup, she goes, "so I saw you with William at that party. Glad to know you've stopped chasing Aiden." My eyes snap onto her. "But no surprise there. I mean now that you're obviously done with Aiden, you had to go and grab someone else, yeah?"

I turn to her completely, my eyes narrowing down at her. "What are you going on about?" I reply, surprisingly in a calm voice.

"Are you allergic to single people? Why do you always have to chase those who are taken? First Aiden, and now William. When will you learn?" She smacks her lips to even out the lip-gloss she'd been applying a second ago, and then she fully turns to look at me.

"Don't run your mouth about things you know nothing about. First thing first, I'm not chasing William. Secondly, he's single." I glare at her. The look I pass her is full of hate and disgust, but she doesn't even flinch. Instead, she glares right back at me, her hazel eyes burning aggressively.

And that's when I snap. What is her problem!? I didn't ask for this, did I?! Did I want to fall in love with my best friend who so happened to be her boyfriend? No! I didn't run after him or force him to kiss or touch me. It just...happened. I never wanted things to get so complicated. But they did. And now I'm in love with a guy who doesn't even talk to me, who doesn't even care. Who never cared, probably. It's pathetic.