(Edited) Chapter 14

14

Scarlett

"So, will you go out with me this Friday? We can go watch movies or something.Or maybe go bowling. We could just hangout at the beach, that's cool too. Heck, we'll go anywhere you want. What's say?" Aiden suggests, staring straight into my eyes as he does.

My heart skips a beat as soon as those words leave his mouth. If only, he was actually asking me out on a date. But no, he isn't. He's just asking me to hang out with him this Friday—as a friend. In fact the only reason he's even asking is because his girlfriend is going to be out of town for two weeks and he doesn't want to spend the weekend on his own.

"Um...I don't know..." I reply hesitantly, not knowing what to say.

"Oh c'mon! You probably have nothing to do on Friday nights. You just sit at home, and bore the hell out of yourself. The least you can do is hangout with me!" He says, raising his arms in exasperation.

My mouth drops open. "You're basically saying that I completely lack a social life!"

"Well, what I'm saying is true though, isn't it? You do spend your Friday nights all by yourself, am I correct?" he enquires, cocking his left eyebrow dramatically. That simple gesture makes my heart flutter in my chest. I try to suppress the dorky smile which tries to emerge on my face, and try to look annoyed instead.

"Well yeah, so what?!"

"So, go out with me!"

Oh why does he have to say "go out with me" it seems like he's asking me out on a date! Which he isn't, so can't he simply frame his sentences differently? Something like, let's spend some time together this Friday. But then, that would sound a little romantic—

"Earth to Scarlett! Hello?" Aiden says, waving his hand in front of my eyes to grasp my attention.

"God yes, I'm listening. What's your problem?"

"You are. So tell me, will you come?"

"I'll think about it."

"Seriously? 'Think about it'? You're torturing me, you know?"

I pass him a tight-lipped smile. "Take it as you get, leave it if you won't."

"You're mean, you know that?"

"Mean's my middle name baby" I say, winking.

He rolls his eyes and walks off; leaving me all by myself at the lunch table. I notice him smiling as he turns around. As soon as he's out of sight, I feel a small smile appear on my face. I love how we bicker with each other.

My eyes wander around the crowded cafeteria. I spot my friends immediately. Kayla and Sandra are busy conversing about something, while Sharon is staring at me, a knowing smile on her face. I head over to them, and take a seat. Sharon immediately turns to look at me and starts talking. "So, I saw you talking to Aiden. All good?"

I shrug. "Yeah I guess. He just asked me to go out with him this Friday."

"You're kidding, right? He has a girlfriend!"

"Oh, I meant as friends. His girlfriend will be out of town for two whole weeks—her cousin is getting married. He doesn't want to spend the weekend by himself. So he asked me to hang out with him," I explain, smiling like an idiot.

Sharon rolls her eyes. "Man, you seriously like him, don't you?" I see a hint of pity in her eyes.

"Well yeah, I do. It's just—"

"Oh my god! Did you hear what she said?" Sandra exclaims all of a sudden.

"Yes, she just said she likes him!" Kayla gushes.