(Edited) Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen

Aiden

I emerge out of the shower. I grab my clothes from my locker, and put it on within seconds. My head hurts, and there's a dull ache in my muscles. I run my fingers through my wet hair. In the seventeen years of my existence, I've never had to deal with girl-related problems. And now, I'm in the middle of this drama that involves not one, but two girls.

"Hey man, can I get a ride today? My car's at the mechanic's so..." Damien comes up behind me, interrupting my train of thoughts.

"Yeah...sure," I murmur. "C'mon let's go."

"You don't sound very good, something up?" Damien asks, sounding slightly concerned.

I consider telling him about my dilemma. Usually if I'm in some sort of trouble, I go to Scarlett. She's pretty good at giving advice and stuff. But this time I can't. I sigh. Well, beggars can't be choosers. And I really need an outsider's perspective. "Yeah, there's this problem...C'mon I'll tell you about it on the way."

We walk side by side to the parking lot. On the way a bunch of girls from the cheerleading squad pass us coy smiles, and giggle as we pass by. Normally, I would have stopped by to engage in a conversation or two, leaving with their numbers. But one, I already have their numbers, and two, for the first time, I'm not interested in the slightest. Girls are a nightmare, and I'm already involved with two.

Once I start the engine of my Mercedes, Damien turns to me. Usually we'd blast out music. But today we're going to have a conversation. "So..."

"Yeah so, you know Scarlett, right?" I ask him.

"Of course I do. She's cute and all, but she can be a major bitch," he murmurs.

I glare at him. He raises his hands up in surrender. "So, what about her?"

"Well...I like her," I say slowly, taking my time, trying to understand the significance of those words.

"Ha! I knew it!" Damien says, suddenly jumping up. I stare at him, bewildered.

"Wait, what!?"

He shrugs. "I had a hunch that you guys were into each other."

"Wow, you're more observant that you look. But you're kind of wrong. She's not into me. I mean yeah, we've kissed a couple of times but...she probably doesn't like me like that."

"I don't know about that bro. Scarlett doesn't seem like the kind of girl who casually kisses just anyone. Anyway, what's the problem? So you like Scarlett, big deal! She'll give in sooner or later."

"I'm...not too sure about that. I don't think she will. If I had the slightest feeling that she would, I'd leave Hailey."

"Honestly? I think you're better off with Hailey. I mean, don't get me wrong, Scarlett's a great girl and all. But you guys...you just don't fit."

I frown. "What do you mean?"

"Girls like Scarlett...I'm only guessing here, but girls like Scarlett, they are the emotional kind you see in those movies, and read about in books. They get too attached too soon. A guy like you could completely shatter her, because let's be honest, you can really be an asshole when it comes to girls."

"No, that's not—"

"Don't even try to deny it. You've dumped more girls than anyone I know. You've had temporary fun with them, and when they started getting too attached, you ran for the hills. Do you really think you'll be able to handle a girl like Scarlett? You'll break her heart the first chance you get."