(Edited) Chapter 8

8

Scarlett

I run as fast as my feet can carry me, dying to get out of the confines of the library. My heart is beating so frantically. I'm sure it's going to burst right out of my chest. I've never felt this way—never. I've never felt so nervous, frantic, excited and annoyed at the same time. What happened a few minutes ago had been so over-whelming.

I exit the library real fast and head over to the school grounds. My small run soon transforms into short strides, ultimately turning into a slow walk. I'm desperately trying to calm my heart. But it's futile. There are knots in my stomach, tightening by the minute. This feeling, it feels good and bad at the same time. I don't exactly like it, but I don't want it to stop either. Which is crazy, you know?

I sit down on a bench and snap my eyes close, reliving what just happened back there.  I can still feel his warm breath on my skin and his arms around my back. It feels so real.

But it was real. It really did happen. Aiden almost kissed me. It wasn't a dream.

I groan. How can I suppress these feelings after what just happened? How can I? I'll never be able to forget the look in his eyes as he leaned towards me. I'll never be able to forget how he held me. Most of all, I'll never be able to get over the fact that it had felt so amazing.

God, I really like him.

Suddenly my cell phone starts ringing, disrupting my day dream. My eyes pop open. I quickly take out my phone from my bag. My heart almost gives out when I read the caller ID—it's Aiden. 

My hands tremble as I stare at my phone. Is this for real? I want to answer the call, but I resist. I don't want to pick up the phone immediately; it'll make me look desperate.

After five short rings, I can't resist anymore and hit the answer button. My heart is practically in my mouth. I feel so nervous and anxious. 

"Hello?" I say.

I wait for him to cut the call or say something like "Oops, sorry I didn't mean to call you. I accidentally called you instead of my girlfriend." But he doesn't do anything like that.

"Hey"

"Uh...what is it?" I ask.

"Where did you go?" He asks. My heart flutters. Is he saying that he didn't want me to go? "We have dance practice today."

Oh. So that's why he called. Not because he was annoyed I left or because he wanted to talk to me about what the hell happened in the library. He called because we had dance practice.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot," I mumble.

"It's okay. We're practising at my place today, right?"

"Yeah, just like we'd planned."

"Okay. Uh...do you want to go together? I could give you a lift."

"Oh, um no. That's alright. I have to run a few errands. I'll meet you there."

"Sure, okay." He ends the call.

Iwas lying. I don't have to do anything. I just can't imagine facing him right now, when I'm feeling so emotionally volatile.  I keep replaying the incident at the library in my head. I don't know how to feel about it. My heart wants me to revel in this feeling, to acknowledge the fact that maybe, just maybe, Aiden desires me. But my mind tells me otherwise. It tells me to be on my guard, to understand that whatever it was, it meant nothing. He's still with Hailey. They belong together. I just don't fit in this equation.