(Edited) Chapter 21

Chapter Twenty One

Scarlett

"I'm so sorry about that. I had no idea he'd barge in like that and behave so rudely," I apologize to William. I don't even know why I'm apologizing to him when Aiden's the one who acted like a prick in the first place. But I can see that what happened earlier has irritated William, and I really don't want him to stop talking to me, at least not yet. Despite my initial doubts about him, he actually seems nice, and I am enjoying myself, you know?

William sighs. "Who was he though? Your ex-boyfriend?"

I chuckle. "No, my ex-best friend actually. We had a fall out recently. I don't know what came over him—"

"Relax. It's okay. He was just looking out for you, I suppose. I would have done the same for my best friend."

I look up at him, my brown eyes meeting his green ones. He smiles at me, reassuring me that everything is fine. "So anyway, since we're already out here, let's take this opportunity to talk. As fun as it was dancing with you, I'd like to get to know you more."

I feel the familiar anxiety return. Here we have an extremely attractive boy who wants to talk to me. I have absolutely no idea why, but I'm not complaining.

"So, I think I've seen you before, but I'm not really sure. Although, I don't know how I'd forget coming across someone as pretty as you," he says. I resist the urge to roll me eyes, feeling slightly turned off. He's so gorgeous, and so charming. Why does he have to be cheesy?

"Maybe you should keep your eyes more open," I suggest, sending a smile his way. I don't mention that one time I crashed into him in the school hallway, and he helped me gather all my books that had fallen. Why am I not surprised that he doesn't remember me at all? I'm not exactly the kind of girl that leaves an impression.

We spend the next twenty minutes getting to know each better. He tells me things about him that I already know—that he likes to sing, dance and play the guitar, and that he's the head of the drama club. Then he tells me a couple of things I didn't know, that he likes to write (songs mostly) and that he's going to audition for Juilliard School of arts a couple of months later.

And then it's my turn to speak, and I feel the familiar nervousness settle in. I hesitate at first. What if he thinks I'm weird? What if he realizes he's wasting his time with a girl like me? But then I convince myself that I'm over reacting. William is still waiting for my reply. He's opening his mouth, about to repeat the question, thinking I didn't hear him the first time. So I start speaking. I tell him that I write, and that I'm obsessed with this boy band, and my favorite color is black and I'm a huge potterhead, and a self proclaimed fangirl. I keep waiting for him to leave, or worse, laugh at me. But he does nothing of that sort. Instead, he does something that I'm not used to. He listens. He sits back and listens to me as I speak, and it's a brand new experience. I've never spoken ten minutes straight without being interrupted once or twice. I've always been more of a listener, never leading a conversation. But here's William, listening to me with his eyes wide open, and a soft smile playing on his lips, as if he's genuinely interested. I could get used to this.

"So can I read something written by you someday?" He asks, still smiling at me.

"Sure, if you want to," I say, shrugging, making a mental note to write something that isn't about my ex best friend. All the poems I've written are in some way, about him. I'm pretty sure William wouldn't appreciate reading all the poems I've written about Aiden.