EIGHTY-ONE

"So, all in all, not one of Ron's better birthdays?" Fred muttered. 

Aurora rolled her eyes and elbowed the ginger haired boy in his side, shaking his head at him disapprovingly. It was late evening on Ron Weasley's birthday. A day he unfortunately had to spend inside the Hospital Wing in Hogwarts, in a state of unconsciousness.

The Weasley's got a message from Dumbledore, explaining how Ron had been poisoned and was now getting treated by Madam Pomfrey. Without question, Mr and Mrs Weasley got down to the wizarding school first. The twins and Aurora were soon to follow. 

The hospital wing was quiet - and practically empty -, the windows were covered by curtains and the only lights that were in the room were the occasional lamp positioned on bedside tables. Hermione and Ginny were seated around Ron's bed. Their eyes glued to the ginger haired boy and worried expressions plastered on their pale faces. Harry was standing on the opposite side of the bed, his face troubled.

Aurora stood by the end of the bed, Fred and George on either side of her. She couldn't help the feeling of relief, she knew the boy would be okay.  Before stepping inside she spoke to Madam Pomfrey and the woman was able to save him just in time (thanks to Harry's help).

"This isn't how we imagined handing over our presents," George commented grimly, putting down a large wrapped gift on Ron's bedside table and then going back to stand besides Aurora.

"Yeah, when we pictured the scene, he was conscious," Fred added.

"There we were," George spoke, "In Hogsmeade, waiting to surprise him--"

"You were in Hogsmeade?" Ginny asked, looking up at her older brothers.

Fred nodded, "We were thinking of buying Zonko's," He explained, "A Hogsmeade branch, you know, but a fat lot of good it'll do us if you lot aren't allowed out at weekends to buy our stuff anymore...But never mind that now," He drew up a chair beside Harry and looked at Ron's pale face, "How exactly did it happen, Harry?"

Harry let out a deep sigh before retelling the story he had already recounted what felt like a hundred times to Dumbledore, McGonagall, Madam Pomfrey, Ginny and Hermione. He explained the love potion Romilda Vane put in Harry's chocolates, which Ron then ate by mistake. He explained the celebratory drink Professor Slughorn gave to Harry and Ron and how Ron began bubbling from the mouth, "...And then I got the bezoar down his throat and his breathing eased up a bit. Slughorn ran for help, McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey turned up, and they brought Ron up here. They recon he'll be all right. Madam Pomfrey says he'll have to stay here a week or so."

"Blimey," George breathed out, running his hand through his hair, messing it up, "It was lucky you thought of a bezoar."

"Lucky there was one in the room," Harry said.