"There's so much to do, darling. Now, you get some rest and  I'll send Amy in soon." He gave her a passionate kiss and then ran out of the room.

She paced around the room and pressed her hand to her stomach. Inside there was something that would grow into a child. Would this child be as evil as Theo? Would she even be able to take care of it? She had always wanted to be a mom, but not like this. Not with Theo.

Her eyes were watering. She wasn't ready for this. It was just another crazy thing to deal with on top of all the other stuff she was forced to cope with.

Amy strolled through the door. "Theo said you had news for me."

"Why don't you help me change my dressing and I'll tell you all about it," mumbled Nori.

Amy went into the bathroom and turned on the shower. Nori made her way there. Amy had yet to notice the positive pregnancy test next to the sink.

"What's going on?"

Nori handed Amy the test, the pink plus sign still bright as could be. "I'm pregnant," she whispered.

"Wait, I thought you said Doctor Nessbaum gave you the depo shot."

"He did, but I'm pregnant. He never did a pregnancy test before he gave it to me. Or maybe he did during my surgery. I don't know."

"It can take a few days for your body to start producing the hormones that the tests detect."

"I also didn't have protection for the first three weeks after Theo cut out my arm implant."

"He cut out your arm implant?" asked Amy, in shock.

Nori lifted her sleeve, showing off the small jagged cut that looked like a mosquito bite on her shoulder. "Yeah, I forgot you weren't here for that."

"The birth control shot also isn't active right away, Nori. Some people say it takes as much as seven days. You could easily have been pregnant when you got the shot. Especially since the implant would have made you extremely fertile when it was removed. I think it was just a case of bad timing. But it's still early."

"What are the chances it is just a false positive from the shot?" asked Nori.

"False positives are extremely rare. The most common cause is actually just a really early pregnancy miscarriage which is entirely likely with the shot."

"If I miscarry Theo would have an absolute conniption."

"I'll take the bullet for you if anything happens. Don't worry about that now. Remember, I'm here for you."

"What am I going to do? I can't have a child. I'm not ready for this." Nori struggled to draw in air. She made a weird wheezing sound and sat on the toilet.

"Come on, look at me." Amy firmly pressed her hands to Nori's shoulders. She looked at Amy. "We're going to get through this."

Nori couldn't focus on her breathing, she got incredibly lightheaded. Everything went dark.

****

Nori's eyes fluttered open, a tall figure was over her. "Where am I?" she panted.

"You're right here in the bathroom," said the tall figure. The cold floor under her somehow felt comforting.

Nori took a few deep breathes. "What happened?"

"You fainted. It's gonna be okay, Nori." Somehow the sound of her own name was foreign to her. "It happens. You just gotta relax."

The person helped her off the floor and to the toilet. Nori sat there and after a few minutes of sitting there she came back to reality. She was sitting in the bathroom with Amy. She was pregnant with a monster child. But she would be fine.

"Amy? How long was I out?" asked Nori.

"Less than a minute."

"I need to lie down. Can you help me?"

"No problem."  Amy turned off the water of the shower and lifted Nori up, helping her to the bed.

"Do you know why I fainted?"

"Some people faint because their minds can't cope with something. Others faint because they forget to breathe. I think you're more of the latter."

"You can't tell Theo. Please. He'll freak out," begged Nori.

"Do you think I'd ever tell him anything?" asked Amy.

"No..."

"I should get you something to eat."

"Amy I'm scared."

"We're going to get through this. You're going to get through this."

Amy was about to leave, but Nori grabbed her arm. "This is gonna sound so dumb but for a moment I thought I was dead and I couldn't remember who you were."

Amy let out a strangled laugh that turned into tears, "Nori, I was really worried about you. Please, you've gotta trust me. We will get through this." Amy wiped the tears from her own. It was the first time the other girl showed her emotions. Every time Nori was starting to feel hopeless she just remembered that things were different this time, she had Amy here this time. She had a friend, now, and she could survive this. They both would.

"Thanks, Amy," said Nori with a weak smile.