Chapter 28

Chapter 28:

"The reason that they say you're supposed to kiss someone at midnight is to show that you want to spend the next year with them," said Steve.

"I thought it was supposed to be good luck to a relationship," said Theo in his flawless American accent.

"I don't see why it can't be both?" drawled Imogen, who was clearly tired. It was probably the pregnancy.

"We should switch to the count down. We're not to far from midnight now," said Theo. The sooner it was midnight the sooner he could kiss Nori and the sooner he could get them back home to their prison.

Nori sat quietly, biting her tongue. She had nothing nice to say. She had hoped that with some more wine Steve might loosen up and start asking the right questions. But he didn't. Meanwhile, Theo had stopped drinking after one glass. He had to be able to drive.

Amy had her fair share of wine and was curled up in a ball, asleep on the couch. She looked peaceful.

"Should we wake your cousin up?" asked Steve.

"If she needs sleep we should let her sleep," said Nori. She knew Amy was fighting her own demons in this experience and who was she to stop the girl from sleeping. Nori had no idea what Amy went through when they weren't together.

Steve took the remote and changed the channel. A singer that Nori didn't recognize stood in Times Square. Like every New Yorker Nori hated the place, but it made her feel nostalgic. She missed the life she had before.

She started tearing up. "Darling, why are you crying?" asked Theo.

"Trev, did you just speak in a British accent," chuckled Steve.

Nori wiped her eyes. This was so stressful. Why couldn't Steve just be less inquisitive? Or at least ask the right questions.

"Must have slipped into it," said Theo. "My dad was British." He was back to his American accent like it was nothing.

"Jennifer's mother was British. Is that how you two met?"

"Yes," said Imogen. "My mother and his father knew each other for years. They were good friends. His father helped my mother get her paperwork in order when she came here."

"Right. Makes sense to me." This man was inquisitive and so gullible. If he spent even a moment thinking he could probably put everything together. "I'm going to head to the bathroom."

Nori was glued to the TV. It was something to keep her mind off things. The singer finished her number and the TV flipped to a newscaster. The camera pulled back and the man was sitting with two familiar faces. Nori let out a gasp.

"What in the bloody hell is he doing on TV at New Year's?" snapped Theo.

Derek's sad face was all she could see. He was with Katriana and a blonde woman who Nori didn't recognize. But there he was.

"I better make sure Steve stays upstairs. I'm sure I can keep him occupied." Imogen hurried to the hallway and left.

"We're here with Derek Prince, Katriana Meadows, and Private Investigator Tara D'Angelo discuss the abduction of Honoria Fintan, who some of you may remember as famed British actor, Theo Masterson's kidnapping victim " said the newscaster.

Derek hired a Private Investigator. He was coming for her.

"After being rescued last year Nori was taken from her Manhattan apartment on December 5th of this year," said the blonde woman. "Evidence points to the abductor being Theo Masterson, who escaped from the St. Argus Mental Hospital earlier this year."