Chapter 30

Chapter 30:

Nori woke up. She'd fallen asleep naked and she felt utterly disgusted with everything that had happened the previous night. As soon as they got home Theo had forced her into bed and in her tired state she let things get out of hand. Theo had been so proud of her for what she said to Steve. He took it as proof that she wanted to be there, proof that she was finally in love with him. She would never let herself fall for him.

She could still feel his hands around her neck, choking her. She could feel his hands exploring every inch of her skin. His desire to own her, his burning need, would be the death of her at this rate. Sometimes she almost hoped he'd slip up and kill her. It would certainly be an escape from the hell she'd been condemned to, but she didn't really want to die. She just wanted to be free from him, but it wasn't an option. She was trapped.

Suddenly, Theo popped his head out of the bathroom, breaking her from her dark thoughts. He was brushing his teeth. He quickly rinsed his mouth out and came over to her.

"Last night was amazing, darling," he purred. It wasn't amazing. 

She got up and grabbed her clothing and headed towards the bathroom. "Darling, while you're in there, I need you to take a pregnancy test. They are in the bag under the sink."

She'd seen the bag. She knew it was there. "Okay," she muttered.

She made it into the bathroom and took out the box with the test. She followed the instructions and let it sit while she got dressed. She washed her face, brushed her teeth, and pulled her thick hair out of her braid.

She glanced down at the test. Wait. That couldn't be right. It was positive.

It couldn't be positive. That didn't make sense. The doctor gave her the birth control shot. Maybe he'd been too late. She'd already been with Theo for a few weeks by the time he gave it to her and he didn't do a pregnancy test when he administered it.

Nori started hyperventilating. She felt like her whole world was crashing. No. This wasn't possible. It had to be a mistake. Maybe she let the test sit too long or maybe it was expired. That must be it. She wrapped up the test and threw it out, then she grabbed another and followed the instructions.

Nori sat on the floor with her legs pulled to her chest. She counted in her head to exactly three minutes. Then she stood up ready to the truth. She looked down. Another plus sign. No!

No, no, no! How could she be pregnant?

Her breathing got heavier and she felt like she was going to faint. She splashed some water onto her face, trying to relax. A knock on the door broke her concentration.

"Darling, are you okay?" asked Theo.

He'd find out soon enough. It's not like she could hide it. She took two more deep breathes and opened the door. "I'm fine. The test is by the sink," she mumbled.

Theo went in and Nori left the room trying to hide her face from him. The clear disappointment would just upset him.

He shouted, "It's positive! I'm going to be a father!" She forced a smile on her face. He came out and wrapped his arms around her in an overly enthusiastic embrace. She felt like she would burst into tears at any moment, but she couldn't. She had to keep up the rouse that she was actually happy about this.

Nori sighed and returned the hug. It was comforting to be held. She started to calm down and accept that this was really happening. "I guess you are." He looked down at her, his face had a huge, almost infectious smile and for a moment she remembered why he had been her favorite actor...but only for a moment. This was all his fault.