Chapter 5. Gyarados

Start from the beginning

"Chika!!!!!!!" Kyla yells.

Chika jumps from the bushes, where she was hiding, as Kyla recalls her quickly.

"Fly as high as you can go, Pidgeot!" Kyla orders.

Pidgeot turns and climbs as fast as she can. 

Gyarados and Snorlax fire their Hyper Beams at the same time. The two beams meet in the middle of the lake, exploding into a huge ball of energy. 

"Oh no!" Ivory exclaims. 

"SHIT SHIT SHIT!" Kyla shouts as Pidgeot struggles to go higher.

The ball of energy grows, pushing the lake water over its banks. There is no sign of either Pokemon backing down, as they put everything into this final attack.

Just then, Chaz pops out his Pokeball and grabs Pidgeot and Kyla. He spreads his wings and shoots quickly upwards, gaining altitude at an alarming rate. 

Just as Chaz stops at a safe altitude, the ball of energy explodes. The explosion scatters water and stones, as Snorlax and Gyarados are forced back into the woods, knocking down trees as they go. They slide to a stop into two clouds of dust.

Kyla recalls Pidgeot and crawls onto Chaz's back. 

"Let's go, Chaz." Kyla orders.

Chaz dives towards the cloud of dust where Snorlax lays, barely conscious.

Chaz lands as Kyla quickly jumps off his back and runs to Snorlax's side. Chaz then turns and guards the area.

"Snorlax, can you hear me?" Kyla asks, excitedly.

"Sn... sno.. or.." Snorlax struggles to regain consciousness, as his head nods.

"You did a great job, but it is time for you to rest. We will get you to the Pokemon Clinic as quickly as we can." Kyla says, stoking Snorlax's arm.

Snorlax smiles wide and passes out.

Kyla stands and recalls Snorlax. She then turns to Chaz. "Is Gyarados moving?" She asks.

Chaz shakes his head and grunts.

"Let's move, then." Kyla says.

They move cautiously, walking through the, now, dry lake bed, on a direct path to the other cloud of dust. As they get closer they can hear painful, deep grunts.

"There is no way." Kyla whispers as Chaz takes the lead.

They finally walk up on the Gyarados, badly beaten and bleeding, huddled on the ground. It's eyes open for a moment, but seeing Chaz, it shuts them again in fear. Gyarados knows it is beaten, with no more energy for an attack, and barely able to move, it awaits the inevitable final attack. However, instead of an attack, it hears a soft voice.

"You gave us quite the battle, Gyarados." Kyla says.

Gyarados opens his eyes and looks confused at the woman before him.

"Are you ready to give up?" Kyla asks.

Gyarados looks at Chaz and then back at Kyla and nods slowly.

"Great! Then welcome to our team!" Kyla says, pulling out a Pokeball.

Gyarados pulls slowly away, his eyes flooded with tears.

"What is wrong with him?" Kyla asks Chaz.

Chaz shrugs and kneels down next to Gyarados. He grunts softly to him. Gyarados replies with his own grunts.

Kyla sits down, patiently, as she watches the two talk the situation out. 

Finally, Chaz stands and points to Kyla, then punches his claw, and then points to Gyarados.