Chapter One: Ariadne

Start from the beginning

The first guests who walked through the main entrance were announced by Sir Sneddon before making the journey down the stairs to where I stood.

"Welcome, I am so pleased you could attend the ball this wonderful evening! I hope your journey was well?" Lord and Lady Pimberly were always the first people to arrive at every event, even though they never obtained a room in the castle beforehand.

"It was very pleasant-" Lord Pimberly started to say, his plump cheeks red as he spoke.

"Do not lie to the girl!" Lady Pimberly interrupted, hitting her portly husband with her fan. "The journey was terribly long and bumpy, and the coach was frightfully crowded! We just hope your little rendezvous was worth all the trouble," and with that, she walked away with her chin up with her husband trailing behind.

I shook my head and smiled, their greetings were always interesting. But the egotistical Lady Pimberly and her short husband soon left my mind as more guests began arriving. I greeted them all with a smile, and my cheeks began hurting before long, but I continued to do so because I knew that my father would be disappointed if I didn't treat every guest with the same amount of respect. Rich or poor, as long as they were older than 13, all were welcomed to the palace ball. After the last guests began trickling in, I began to become hopeful. Maybe Lord Tweedle was unable to come this year! I knew it wasn't a very princess-like thought, but that man did not know when his presence was no longer wanted.

Ever since my first ball, when I was eleven, Lord Tweedle had been trying to win the last dance and thus far has never succeeded.

For each of our balls at the palace, there is always a competition in which the winner gets the last dance with the princess of honor. For my balls, it is always a maze because I was named after the goddess of mazes and passion after all.

All twelve of the daughters in my family are named after a goddess because my mother loved reading, especially mythical books. We are also in alphabetical order because my father always says things should be organized and in their proper place. Although my mother always teased that it was because he wouldn't be able to keep our names straight otherwise, especially as more and more of us came into the world.

"Milady," the next guest greeted, interrupting my thoughts, and I immediately knew I wasn't so lucky but put on a smile anyway.

"Lord Tweedle." I curtsied. "I was beginning to think you wouldn't make it."

"I would never miss her Majesty's royal ball," he said with a bow.

"Of course."

"I also came to inform you that I will be most honored to have the final dance of the evening."

"You sound confident you will have it?"

"Indeed I am. Mazes are my new specialty!"

"You say that every year," I replied, reminding myself to be polite.

"Indeed! But this year I feel I am truly ready."

"Lord Tweedle, I apologize for the interruption, but more guests are arriving and I must see to them."

"Ah, yes. Of course. I bid thee farewell, for now, my lady," he said bowing once more than walked away.

I sighed after he had gone and someone to my left chuckled. I turned and saw dark brown eyes filled with amusement looking at me. I couldn't help but smile.

"What's so funny, my Lord?" I asked him and his grin widened.

"Just that your favorite Lord has once again managed to capture your heart," he said mischievously nodding toward Lord Tweedle.

I glared at him. "You know full well my thoughts towards that man," I whispered so the other guests couldn't overhear.

"Dear me! Is this the one and only Princess Ariadne, forgive me for I mistook you for my sister," he said bowing very low before coming back up.

I rolled my eyes. "Peter-"

Peter gasped, looking wildly around the room in feigned disbelief. "You know who I am? The Princess knows who I am!"

"Now that you mention it, I don't believe we have met, I think I should have the guards teach you a lesson," I said with my eyebrows raised. He only grinned. 

I put my hand in the air as if to signal the guards standing just a few feet away, but Peter quickly snatched it up and placed a kiss on the back of it, leaving me speechless for only a moment.

"You don't know who I am? Why, my fair lady, I am none other than the great and wonderful Peter Fairborne!" He bowed deeply.

"Sorry, the name doesn't ring a bell," I said, not able to refrain from grinning.

Hello, my amazing readers! 

Thank you so much for trying out Spellbound! I hope you have enjoyed the journey so far :)

What do you think? Any suggestions or thoughts? I'd love to hear it all! The good and the bad :) (I won't get upset, I just wanna know what you think!)

Don't forget to vote and comment!

And I'll be posting new chapters every Monday (and Thursday).