19. Unique New York

There's a lot to say about being unique. One of the things I want to focus on today is disabilities. 

I myself do not have any, but I felt like I should focus on those who do. And I'm not just talking about physical disabilities either. Mental disabilities are over-looked too. Being different from others does not lower one's worth.

I had the privilege to go to a church youth conference this last weekend. One of the speakers there told a story about her son with down syndrome. Her son cannot speak, but he LOVED to give hugs. She said that he was really difficult to get dressed because he would scream and kick. This woman volunteers at Cook Children's Hospital and she dresses up as Anna from frozen and puts her son in an Olaf costume. And he absolutely loves it. She told us that one day while they were volunteering, they were in an elevator with an older woman. She didn't say anything to the lady, but suddenly this little boy with down syndrome, dressed as Olaf, ran up and gave her a big warm hug. And she started sobbing. She told the mom that she really needed that hug then, and her son had brightened her day. I find it amazing that this little boy didn't say a word, but brought joy to someone's day anyway. When this woman finished her story, she told us, "If my son, who can't express himself beyond grunts and screams, can make so many people happy in such simple ways, what is to stop you from doing all you can to help others and lift their burdens?" 

Having a disability did not lower this boy's worth in any way. That goes for all disabilities. Some people may not be able to talk or even move, but there is still a wonderful spirit inside of that imperfect body. It does not change the fact that they are living, breathing human beings with souls. 

My friend's little brother, who I will call Arthur, is four years old and has not said a single word in his life. He just figured out how to walk about a year ago. Their doctor has no idea what he has. But Arthur is also a hug person. He walks around the halls at church, yelling whenever he sees someone new and he immediately runs up and clings to their legs and holds their hands. I've babysat Arthur many times and he is one of the most amazing kids I know. He has so much joy and you can see his emotions. What a wonderful gift he is.

Another friend's little brother was born with half of his heart on the wrong side of his chest. His immune system is faulty and if he gets a simple cold he has to be hospitalized. This little guy, let's say, Daniel, is so energetic and just ugh I love him. He's the smiliest little kid you'll ever meet! 

I think that all of the people I've met with disabilities, especially the people my age, have always had such a good attitude about them. They just don't take anything for granted. It should be obvious why, but I think it's just because they realize that they're "different" from a lot of other people and they know that those people take so many things for granted. I know I'm guilty of that. There are little things we take for granted that aren't so little in other people's eyes. A lot of us have sight. We can use all five of our senses. We have all of our body parts. We have the ability to read and talk and walk and communicate with others. And we forget that there are a lot of amazing individuals who don't. Yet, I have never met a single disabled person who said, "why me?" Isn't that inspiring? 

Caretakers are incredible. Especially if they are a family member. I don't think that most people would care for a disabled individual "because they have to". I firmly believe that most caretakers do it by choice because they genuinely love the people they take care of. If you think about it, they are really giving up big parts of their lives to help another person. It's a drastic sacrifice. And they do it anyway.

Not being disabled myself, it's hard for me to really know what most people go through just to get through a day. I will never fully understand how those people struggle. I will never grasp what it feels like to be "different" from others. I won't know what it feels like to constantly worry about taking care of what I do or eating a special diet, or many doctor visits and the piling bills and the surgeries and the feeling of being trapped. Unless some drastic injury happens, I won't know. And I couldn't possibly explain it unless I know. 

I've said before the Helen Keller is one of my favorite historical figures right? And you all know that she was deaf and blind. She pretty much defied the odds and became a public speaker and a total inspiration to all kinds of people. She learned how to talk even though so many people doubted her. Here's my most favorite quote from her and reading it just makes my heart race.

 Here's my most favorite quote from her and reading it just makes my heart race

Ugh. Doesn't it just make you shiver? She has such powerful words. I can't get enough of Helen Keller. I've loved her since 4th grade when I read a book about her for class. What a legend.

Winners

A winner is someone who knows

they are more than a body;

No more than a human.

Imperfections lie in the consciousness

of our own perception and belief.

It doesn't take a lot

to win, you see,

Not all winners come first.

Holding onto the faults of one's being,

you begin to believe the lies.

But all winners know that

nothing can stop them

from being the human they are.

-a poem by Samantha Bond

Doctrine and Covenants 18:10-12

10 "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;

11 For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him.

12 And he hath risen again from the dead, that he might bring all men unto him..."

What to Take Away From This: Being imperfect doesn't mean you are any less valuable. Disabilities don't change the soul inside, no matter how severe the condition is. 

Thank you for reading, hope your day doesn't suck! -Sam