15. Color Me Annoyed

No matter what color you are I think it's safe to say that we're all people. 

Before I get into this mess of a controversy, I would like to point out that, yes, I am white and yes, I don't know everything and yes, I can't speak for my entire race when I share my opinion but I'm gonna share it anyway.

There's only one race. The human race.

What about NASCAR?

What about NASCAR?

Okay I had to add that one, I'm sorry.

I don't really think I've ever judged a human by their ethnicity. I went to kindergarten in a class where I was literally the only white kid. All of my classmates were either African-American, Latino, and I think one little boy was Portuguese but I'm not entirely sure. In that situation, I actually was a minority. So it really surprised me when my family moved and there was only one black girl in my class and two Hispanic boys. In fact, I think I remember talking to my mom about it at one point, but I don't know. 

In my case, I was surrounded by so many different races at a young age that it never really crossed my mind what color someone was as a kid. I never had a problem with it and I still don't. I think most little kids are like that anyway. They literally and psychologically can't comprehend race at all. They just don't. It doesn't just apply to white kids, it applies to all kids. They're just too innocent to be bothered.

I think that's the kind of view we all need to have when it comes to people. I wish I could turn back time and remove parts of history where other races were discriminated and sold and abused and frankly, put through hell. Maybe then we wouldn't be having this discussion. I don't think stereotyping and discrimination is ever going to end, not just about race either. There's so many "categories" that we put ourselves into as humans that sometimes we forget we're just that. Humans.

A lot of times, I'm ashamed to be white. Not because of anything I've done, but knowing what kind of hardships Caucasians have forced upon other people simply because of race disgusts me. Knowing how many white people are out there still doing everything they can to hurt other people, again, because of race, disgusts me. It makes my heart hurt and I seriously wish it would just end. The part that gets me the most is that I have no idea what I would be able to do about it. Me. A 17 year old white girl with a minimum wage job and not even the ability to vote yet. I can only hope that whatever I decide to do helps people in some way. But, unfortunately, I can't change the minds of millions of people. Maybe a few, but never that many. 

I hope that whatever race you are, you're proud of it. I hope that you know that you're human just like everyone else. I hope you know that no matter how people may treat you, you're still a child of God. And if you don't believe in God that's okay too. I hope that you accept yourself for who you are. I don't care if you're American, Chinese, Scottish, Cuban, Australian, Indian, Native American, African, Korean, German, Puerto Rican, Egyptian, whatever, you're still a PERSON and that's all you need to be. 

Dear Future Me,

I think it's safe to say that anyone who categorizes people based on race is ignorant.

Maybe you've lived to see the day when most of us can get along without having to hear about colors in the news. Maybe you saw the day when the news stopped hitting up stories about white cops shooting black teens and all the backlash because of it. Maybe now, people don't have to rally in the streets anymore because of their rights. Maybe they have all they need now. 

Maybe you've lived to see the day where stereotypes don't apply to a single race anymore. Maybe you see now that we're more unified as individuals rather than individual units.

When you look back on your life I hope you feel accomplished. I hope you've done something to ensure some peace among nations. Because if you haven't I'm already disappointed. 

Dear future me, have you done enough? Sincerely,

You of Yesterday

Going back to a public school after homeschooling since 5th grade really is nice. Although most of the people at college are white, a good fraction of the students are Hispanic or African-American. Being at a surprisingly diverse school in a small-town, five-building community college in the plains of Texas really makes me feel good. I know so many different kinds of people and I'm so grateful to understand bits and pieces of their lives and know that inside they're all just as much of a person as I am. 

From way early on, I've always been interested in learning other languages. I took Latin for five years even though I knew how much of a dead language it was. I wanted to learn ASL, although technically it's still English. I wanted to learn Mandarin. I wanted to learn Spanish (a class that I have to take anyway this next semester). I want to learn Korean now (you probably already know why), as well as German and Japanese. I don't think I could ever learn all of those in a lifetime, but I really want to just for the purpose of getting past language barriers to meet more people. Plus it would look really good on a resume. (I'M JOKING).

In all honesty, I think race is just another reason to find ways to hurt other people. Racist people will always find a way to hurt other people, and it's something that no law can stop. And it's sick. I can't wait to die one day and make it to heaven where I'll get to meet a Jesus who isn't actually white with blue eyes like the Catholic church of the, what? 1200-1400's? Earlier? depicted Him as. I can't wait to walk through those pearly gates and sit down in a auditorium with a slew of other dead people and watch as God grabs the microphone and says, "All you racist people can leave now, we won't be needing your negativity up in here." And then I'll get to cheer as all those people walk out the door.

What to Take Away From This: It should be pretty clear at this point. Racist people suck and color exists, but it's not something that should be punished or mistreated or bullied or discriminated about. I'm waiting for that perfect day of peace and I'm hoping that it will be within my lifetime. I'm also hoping I get to be one of the people that puts my effort in to help out. 

Thank you for reading, hope your day doesn't suck! -Sam