Home Sweet Home

-Emily's POV-

Dark grey clouds loomed over the building. The green laced heels from before were ditched a mile back, making it easier for me to run at my top speed. My feet ached but I was almost there. Most would assume the warehouse was an outpost for the shipping of electrical items. A perfect disguise behind what true intentions the place held. All the stationary posts were empty which wasn't a complete shock. No one dared stay behind on a night like this. Rookie villains and petty thieves even knew it was the perfect evening for crime.

You know the weather right before a storm when the sky darkens, the wind temperature picks up. That was tonight. A deep fog was coming in off the docks which would burry many crimes in the nighttime shadows. Considering, the whole GCPD was focused on the Wayne's event, havick would take over the city. Foolish cops preoccupied with protection of the 1% put everyone at risk, easy pickings. Bat sightings were rare whenever these events occurred simultaneously. The equivalent to christmas morning for us thieves and killers. My father never took advantage of a night like this, not enough challenge he would say. He was the reason I wasn't out tonight pulling off some big score. Sure, I had escaped with the crystal but I could do a lot more damage if I had the time. Imagine how impress-Oh no, I'm not going to obsess any more about this. I don't care to impress him, I do not care. The only reason I'm here is to make sure I wasn't becoming weak and foolish. I didn't mind that the place was empty. I'd rather not run into some of my old "friends." I passed through the rest of security with ease. It wasn't that he never chanced the codes, trust me he did that on a daily, hourly basis but after years of living with the Riddler the locks were simple for someone such as myself to crack. To the left of the final door was a green pad. A simple question flashed before me; ?¿?Riddle me this: The face of pathetic I am found, in water I shall run around. My color as dark as night, on a clown I amplify fright. What am I?¿?

Hmmm, I bit my lower lip softly in thought. My brain was designed for this sort of thing so instantly I knew the answer. It wasn't even a hard one, the fact that it ran in water gave it away. I typed in the word Mascara. The lock screen's green hue changed to a plum purple color. I smirk, seeing the door crack open. Access granted. "Home sweet home." I sigh under my breath, passing through the door.

I walked down the long dark green hallway, every step of mine is taken with the utmost caution. I felt myself just waiting for one to give away, set off a trap. Nothing happened. His dark silhouette was all I could make out as I entered the dimly lighted room. There was one other distinct feature I could see, a smug, know it all smirk which curled up along the edge of his face. No it wasn't that my father was happy to see me home or alive like most normal parents would be. The smirk was only because he had been right. I had given myself up, returned back home. My father leaned back against the purple velvet of his chair. His fedora casted a dark shadow, sheltering his eyes from my view. Of course he showed no surprise over my return.

"Look whose back."

He stated plainly, sounding not amused at my arrival. My gaze shifts down for a moment, focusing on the creases in the tile floor. I could feel the disapproval that radiated from his gaze. Was he angry that I left or did he not care? Never could I make sense of his actions nor emotions. I open my mouth, meaning to say something although the words never came to me. Why was this happening? I couldn't see how to approach this. Why did he do this to me, make me all flustered. Slowly, I move towards the center of the room until I was directly in front of him.

"Shame, you made no attempt at camouflaging yourself from the cameras."

I look up at him, trying to hide the fact his statement annoyed me. He really did think I was an idiot. What would I have to do to present myself as intelligent in front of him. No, shit I knew about the camera's. I had set them up two summer's ago because he wanted to see every inch of this place incase the Batman stopped by. Why did he talked to me like this, pointing the obvious out as if it was stupid of me not to have taken note of the cameras.