Wayne's Gala: Part 3

-Emily's POV-

Idiot. Did he really expect me to stay here, waiting for a clown to come hunt me down? Once he had disappeared from my sight, I ran out of the hiding spot. I needed a knife or something from the gala to defend myself. Sure I was armed, the only problem was if I made use of my own weapon it would look suspicious. Questions would arise like how did you get a razor blade past security. I think the buffet table from earlier may have a knife. That would be my first stop.

To my left the joker's thugs were gathering everyone up in the center of the room. Their laughter echoed off the walls of the ballroom. Not a good sign. I wonder if Jesse is behind one of those plastic clown masks. He used to be, but someone who survived the Joker this long definitely moved up in chain of command. The higher up you got in his organization the more of a chance you could wind up locked away or dead.

A shadow of someone flipping down behind me catches my eye, immediately I tense up. I'm narrowly able to dodge the hammer that went swinging past my head. Harley. I spin around grabbing the first thing I could off the table. "A fork?" I mutter to myself, hammer vs fork didn't sound like great odds but could work. The thing that was strange was this wasn't my first time using a fork as a weapon. Her high pitch voice crackled with laughter,

"What's wrong girlie? Can't find ta spoon?"

I glare, trying to get her to leave me the hell alone. She strutted up to me, hands on her hips. The black and red jester carried herself with confidence however I knew Harley well enough to know it was only a facade. Her eyes narrow as she approaches me.

"Don't I know ya from somewhere?"

Harley cocked her head to the side. Oh shit, she'd blow my cover with her blabber mouth. At least Jason wasn't around to hear her. In fact, where was Jason? He disappeared out of sight fast. Acting scared I shook my head no. If she believed I was an imbecile maybe she wouldn't put two and two together. However Harley was a random one, I'm not going to test my chances that much with her. My grip on the fork tightened as she spoke once more.

"Hmm....Ya sure do look familiar girlie."

She tapped her chin making me very nervous.The way Harley circled around me made me feel as if I was her prey. I could almost hear her thinking, trying to figure it out where she knew me from.

"HARLEY!"

Joker's voice cracked, echoing across the room. Who would have thought I'd be saved by the Joker's yelling. Her head snapped around as fast as a trained puppy. Poor girl, subjected to the belief of true love with someone such as the Joker. He took pride in knowing he had ruined one of the more intelligent doctors at Arkham. A wicked smile flashed across the Joker's painted face.

"I'm gettin' bored over here!"

"No worries puddin', I found ya a new toy."

She laughs, smiling down on me. I couldn't help but roll my eyes. Her laughter always annoyed me. Imagine, being in the middle of a big heist, attempting to crack the code within a 30 second window with her snickering going on. Trust me, it is nearly impossible to stay focused. Harley yanks my arm causing me to stumble forward. Oh hell no, I am not going to be a victim to this game. I jabbed the fork into her arm with all my strength before yanking it out in an aggressive manner.

"Yowie!"

She pulled her arm back as blood started to appear. A fork doesn't seem like a logical weapon but when an object isn't normally used for a weapon is applied with such force it becomes one, it hurt most of all. Not even waiting for her response, I ran. Behind me I hear the jester mumbling something about a stupid bozo. Me stupid? Please, I wasn't the idiot that fell for a psychopathic clown.