Prologue

Winter's chilling air blew briskly throughout the halls of Arkham Asylum. Silence was broken by only one sound, the light patter of rain hitting off the window's cold metal bars. At the end of the hallway a young girl rocked herself back and forth, back and forth, murmuring some nonsense over and over again. She looked not a day over sixteen. Soft strawberry blonde curls draped over her face hiding the fact she had been crying for some time now. In her head only one word rang about, driving her to the brink of insanity, Failure. How could she have been so foolish? Slowly, her head lifted revealing bloodshot eyes.

"I only wanted to impress him." Her voice was soft when it cracked, sounding weak and broken. Once again her emerald eyes began to water, replaying the traumatic events of the night before. "That was all-I never thought I wo-"She had cut herself off, letting her voice trail down an empty hallway. No one cared as the sound faded away. She felt completely alone.

Of course this wasn't the first time the young teen had been placed in Arkham. Arkham had always been like a second home for the girl. Nonetheless this time her visit was different. This time she felt the loneliness and pain that consumed the haunting prison. She was begining to understand how it broke people. The young girl glanced down at the chains which bounded her to the cell. For the first time her eyes looked at her situation as not some challenge nor an opportunity to impress her father. Instead she saw the shackles as what bound her to shame.

The cell, guards, chains, none of that stuff scared her. She grew up around that sort of thing. The teen had been imprisoned, however, not amongst the walls of Arkham. The girl had locked herself within her mind, trying to conclude where she had gone wrong. The doctors should have known better then to leave such a dangerous girl with nothing other then her thoughts.  People become unpredictable when left in silence for so long, especially this young girl. The fact she was raised by insanity, crime, and the Riddler himself meant not even a blessing could save her from snapping.

"I- I just wanted to be respected by him, to be loved...."Her body shook, rocking back and forth. Soft tears fled from her emerald eyes, down the side of her face as memories from her past began to flood back to light.