First Encounter

-A Few Years Earlier-

An explosion shook the ground, causing her drinking glass to fall from the table. It shattered, making the young child jump up. "Daddy!" The noise itself had startled her as she ran over to the man in a sharp green suit. He dismissed her attempt to hug him before noticing how truly concerned she was. The man shook his head softly before sitting his child down on a stool made from purple vinyl.

"Don't worry Emily." He smiles, fooling the child with a false sense of sympathy. "We only have a visitor."

The young girl's head tilted, pondering the thought in her own little way. "a-a visitor?" Her tiny uncertain voice seemed to fill the rather large room. "Oh! The one from last time?" Everything seemed to click, causing her to smile. Her father nodded, resting a green gloved hand on her shoulder.

This gestured lead the young girl to ease her concern. Her father gave her a slight nudge toward the door, signaling it was time for her to leave. The young child understood for this was not the first time this had happened. No, the past few weeks he had been telling her to leave for this mysterious visitor. Emily was smart enough to understand this was not him asking nicely for her to leave nor did she had an choice to stay. She was forced to leave immediately whenever this visitor would come about. Although once or twice she had thought of staying behind but overall she feared the consequence of her disobedience.

The first time something of this nature had happened Emily would ask her father many things. For example; Who was this mysterious visitor, why couldn't she see him or get to say hi? It wasn't exactly her fault that the child was this curious. He had made her this way, taught her-no-encouraged her to always be questioning. His teachings always pushed her towards trouble, tonight for instance. She had decided enough was enough. The young girl did not feel it was fair her dad constantly forced her out of the room whenever this person would come. The worst part was he never felt the need to explain who it was. Emily became determined to see who this mysterious guest was once and for all. Tonight she hid beneath one of her father's older inventions, ready to see the truth behind his guest.

Seconds went by until they formed minutes, those minutes soon turned to hours as the young girl sat in the crease of the green contraption just waiting for something to happen. Emily was about to give up when a dark shadow caught her eye. Across the room was an emotionless figure. He stood there demanding over and over again for someone called the Riddler. Fresh blood dripped from the mans jaw, his voice was harsh yet not frightening to young Emily. A projection her father appeared on a rather large screen.

"Life's full of question isn't it Batman? Though I prefer to think of them as Riddles."

"Where is he Riddler?!" His voice sounded not to be messed with, Emily could tell he was close to losing it. "What did you do to Robin?"

Emily's father just laughed at the visitor. A cocky smirk spread across his face. "I've already told you Batman, your bird brain is high up in the building with the most stories." The screen went black right after his last word was spoken. His projection was gone.

Emily watched on as the Batman started to curse under his breath. The room went dead silent which seemed strange. A feeling came about giving a sense that something had to be up. A small breath escaped Emily causing his head to snap around. Batman seemed to be looking directly at her. Emily couldn't tell if he could actually see her or not. Paranoia began to come about the young girl as she pondered whether he knew or not.

A loud beeping sound echoed across the room as Batman took a step forward. He took one last look around as if he was studying the place, memorizing it. Batman threw a grappling hook up at the roof's concrete tiles, pulling himself up out of the her father's lair.

The beeping seemed to get faster and faster making the young girl nervous. She knew the worst thing to do would be to stay. Instantly her instincts kicked in as she bolted for the door. Whatever was going to happen next would not be good. Although out of breath, Emily busted through the exit door. She had only made it a few feet from her father's warehouse when the whole building went up in flames. Emily fell to the ground, her body laid covered in ash.

The raining ash dissipates, revealing nothing but the walls in her cell. That young girl fleeing for her life was nothing more then the broken criminal Enigma.

That very same girl tried her best to force away the childhood memory, and cease rocking. Her expression paled slightly for she had come to realization about what had really happened on that night of the explosion. Consumed with firey rage the psychopathic girl threw herself across the room. She screamed loudly, hands curled up in tight fists. "It was a test! Another one of his stupid ass tests!" Her fists became bloody as they pounded into the stone walls.

Enigma crumbled to the floor. How could she had been this stupid? The girl knew what had finally gotten her into this mess. Him, her father constantly testing her. She wasn't crazy. No! She couldn't be crazy. It wasn't her fault. It wasn't her fault. It was all those damned tests. The girl wanted to scream, wanted to cry. How could no one understand? Were they all that near minded? Her whole life had been a series of tests and by the looks of it now, she had failed. That was how her life went, her father testing her over and over again. He knew ever move she would make, used that to his advantage. Her father knew very well the young Emily wouldn't stay hidden that night. If he was wrong she would have failed his test that day at the expense of her life.

The realization was all to much for Enigma as she sat back in her cell. She fell back into her memories. Her past was all to much for her to handle. The young girl held her head as another memory flashes before her eyes.