Part 40

WANDA

I stand for a long time at the edge of Peter's bed. Once everything was sorted, everyone left bar Tony. And he's fast asleep now, his head having fallen onto Peter's bed.
I stare at Peter, my arms crossed; his eyes flutter and he fights against the restraints in his sleep. I clench my jaw as I watch the pain he's in.
'I thought I'd find you here.' I turn to see Steve standing by the doorway. He stays still for a moment, then wanders over to me.
'Will he be okay?' I ask, my voice catching slightly at the end. I cover it with a cough.
'For now, yes.' He says, standing beside me and staring at Tony and Peter. 
'We need my mother don't we.' I say it as a statement. I know we do. There is no other way, 'She is so far from the woman I knew. But she shares my mother's stubbornness. She will not give in.'
'I get that impression.' Steve says.
'I...I have an idea.' I say, wanting anything but to go through with it. Steve looks at me as I lower my head and close my eyes briefly, 'I need to go into her head. Like how I did with...with all of you when I first met you.'
'Will that work?' He asks. He sounds hopeful.
'If I...if I weaken her. If I use her fears against her. If I weaken her mind. It could work.' I say. 'I swore I'd never do it again. After what I did to you all.'
'Circumstances change, Wanda. We've all forgiven you.' He says, placing one hand on my shoulder, 'you have powers now and it is both your choice if you use them, as well as what you use them for. That's your choice. This could save Peter's life.'
I almost reply, but I stay silent. I stare at Peter as Steve continues to stare at me. I try not to think about what I'll have to do.