Part 16

MJ

Peter is absent for a long time. Even for him. We only talked once after he kissed me before he got wounded, and I've only seen him once after that. Briefly. It's been three days now.
I leave a fifth voicemail on his phone, and head towards his building only to find it empty.
I stand, lost for a moment, unsure what to do. And then I remember he's Spider-Man. Friend of Ironman.
I ride my bike stupidly fast to the Stark tower, ducking between cars to get there sooner.
I haven't the slightest plan of who to talk to, perhaps, the most famous person in America, as I walk in. I get to the front desk and freeze.
'How can I help you?' The lady asks, politely.
'I'm looking for my friend. Peter Parker. He interns here.' I say, trying to maintain a cool facade.
'I'm sorry, he's not in the building as far as I know.' She says as she checks the server.
'Could I see Tony Stark? It's important.' I say, desperate.
'I'm sorry, miss, Mr.Stark is incredibly busy.' She says, looking up at me and trying to stop herself from laughing.
'Please,' I reply, panic sleeping through in my voice, 'I don't know where he is, he could be dead for all I know, Tony Stark will care about this, you need to let him -'
'Let me what?' Tony Stark asks, moving beside me, 'MJ? I'm guessing?'
'I...yes.' Is all I can say, overwhelmed.
'Just the girl I was looking for. Denise, cancel anything I had planned for the rest of the week, thank you.' The receptionist stares, bewildered.
'Tony Stark, Sir, I'm a friend of Peter Parker and I -' he cuts me off again.
'How about we talk upstairs?' He asks, his voice becoming gentle. He smiles slightly and leads me to the lifts.
As soon as the doors shut on us I start speaking.
'I can't find him anywhere, he's been missing for days. His aunt isn't home, he's not replying to my calls.'
'He's fine. He's staying with me.' He says, his voice level and calm.
'What's...why?' I ask.
'His aunt was in a car crash. She died.' He says.
'Oh my god. Is Peter okay? Can I see him? Oh my god.' I say. The doors open but we stay where we are.
'He's been better. But he'll be okay. And he asked me to contact you, that's what I was trying to do but you are never where you're meant to be.'
'Sorry.' I say, distracted.
'Don't worry about it. So Peter told you about his alter ego?' He asks.
'I figured it out.' I say to his surprise.
'You did?'
'He wasn't that subtle. He was gone every time Spider-Man appeared. He got super athletic from nowhere. He used to wear glasses? And then he just...didn't?' I say, 'I don't understand how people still don't know.'
He laughs and shakes his head, 'secret identity never really appealed to me myself.'
'I saw the interview.' I say, 'I am Ironman?'
'One of my finer moments.' He says, smiling. 'You're welcome to come visit Peter whenever you want. Now, whenever. As he has no legal relatives or guardians left, and I'm the one he listed as second on emergency contact, he's under my temporary care.' He says, 'he's taking it hard. I think he'd appreciate seeing you.'
'Could I come see him now?' I ask, unable to hide my desperation to see him.
'I'll drive.' He says, pressing the button for ground floor.