Part 17

PETER

Mr.Stark left a while ago. He spent hours trying to talk to me. I responded briefly. I told him the essentials. Check MJ and Ned are okay.
Ned, being out of the country with his parents, could only be checked up on by phone, which I'm assuming Mr.Stark did.
After another hour of silence, Mr.Stark left me. I'm not sure to where. But I barely realised.
I sit crosses legged, staring out the window. My fingers patter across the glass, a regular beat, over and over.
I think of all the shit that's happened. My parents dying. Ben dying. May. I close my eyes.
After everything, she can't have gone out in an accident. She can't have.
I get out of my seat and head out of the door, no plan at all.
I get as far as the front door, when Tony and MJ appear. Mr.Stark stops, startled by my unexpected appearance.
'Hey Pete, How you doing?' He asks, wary.
'I'm fine. Fine. I need to find the people.' I say in answer.
'The people?' He asks.
'The people. The ones that shot me. The ones that killed May.' I say. I'm so sure. So certain. This is what must have happened. They hurt May in order to get to me.
'Kid...' He says, his tone so pitying. So condescending.
'It can't have been an accident!' I shout at him, my eyes glancing to MJ who backs up slightly, not used to me being so brash, 'it's just...it doesn't happen. Not to me.'
'Peter I've been through my share of losses, lord knows I have. My parents where in a car crash and for so long I wished there was someone I could blame. And then there was. And I got my revenge. And it did not help me.' He says, he's staring at me so intently, 'May was a wonderful woman and I'm so sorry she died, but this was an accident. Nothing more.'
'But I...' I bring my hands up, wanting something to hold, to do. But there's nothing. 'I miss her.'
'I know, Kid. I know.' He says, stepping forward and hugging me. I don't cry. I'm too shocked, too focused on trying to comprehend what has happened.
'Everyone keeps on dying.' I say quietly, 'everyone I love.'
'This isn't on you, Kid. It's how the world is.' Tony says, his hand placed lightly on the back of my head.
'It's not fair.' I say.
'No.' He replies.
'Promise you won't die.' I say, stupidly and desperately, 'I can't do this again.'
'I'll do my best, Kid.'