Part 42

WANDA

Steve and I walk down the corridor to where Clint has been sitting outside the room. Steve helps pulls him up as he looks confused at us both.
'What's going on?' Clint asks. He looks at me, concerned.
'I'm talking to her.' I say. I look to the door, 'well, not talking.'
'You're going in her head.' Clint says, understanding.
'That's the plan.' Steve says.
'Right now?'
'I've got nothing to wait for.'
'Be careful.' Clint says, pulling me in for a hug. He holds on tight.
'I always am.' I say.
Steve opens the door for me and I step inside. My mother sits with her back facing me. Her hands are tied to the arms of the chair.
'Darling, darling.' She says, as the door is shut behind me, 'can't stay away?'
'Tell me how to save the boy.' I say, staying out of her eye line.
'Oh girl, you are boring me.' She rolls her neck, 'you know I will not. So let's just get to whatever you came here to do. Will you torture me? Will you hurt your only family? I don't believe you will. But darling, I'd love you to prove me wrong.'
'You cannot hold that over me.' I say, stepping round to face her, 'mother, you raised me. And I loved you then. But these people saved me. So I promise you I will prove you wrong. I will save that boy. And you don't need to say a thing.'
I raise my hands, produce a dull orange glow that twists its way into her head. She throws her head back and her eyes glaze over. And everything goes white for a moment.