Part 1

PETER

I raise my hand without thinking. Physics is without question my favourite lesson, and I excel. Sure, I'm okay at fighting crime and all that, but I still love science. It's what I've always been good at.
I answer the question and the teacher writes it up on the board. I'm right.
The lesson goes quickly and I walk out at the end with Ned.
'Peter!' My teacher calls from his desk, 'stick around for a sec would you?'
'Yeah sure.' I say. I say a quick goodbye to Ned and step back into the classroom, 'everything okay?' I ask, worried that he'll tell me off about my poor attendance. With all the Spider-Man stuff going on, my school times hit an all time low.
'Yeah, all good.' He says, 'I was just wondering how your Stark internship was going?'
'My internship, yeah. Good. Really good.' I say. I can't meet his eyes, ashamed that I'm lying to him so blatantly. What started off as a white lie to May has spiralled into a full on story.
Mr.Stark says its good to keep it going in case people see us talking, or if anyone sees me enter the Stark building.
'Our school doesn't have the best science education. We don't have much funding, and not a lot of our students get the opportunity to take it as far as they'd like. I was wondering how you managed to get an internship at such a...high stakes company. And as a follow up, whether Mr.Stark, or Ms.Potts, whoever is in charge, would be willing to take more students?'
'For the internship?' I say, lost for words. I'm unsure how to respond.
'Yes, for the internship.' He says.
'I, uh, I'll ask. For sure. I have it later today, so...I'll ask. And I just, um, applied for a...thing. That's how I got it. All online. Technology these days...crazy.' I say, backing out of the classroom.
'Right. Thanks, Peter.' He says, nodding as I leave the classroom and walk off down the corridor.
I take my bag from my locker and go to the alley a few blocks down from my school. I make the switch from Peter Parker to Spider-Man.
Not a lot happens. A quick mugging. I helped a lady with her groceries. I spent most of the day sitting at the top of the public library. It's MJ's favourite place and I can normally catch her either entering or leaving.
I spend ten minutes or so walking back and forth across the roof. And then, before I can back out of anything, I call Mr.Stark.
'Heya Kid. What's up?' He asks, picking up on the second ring.
'Hi Mr.Stark...not a lot. Just. Patrolling. You know.' I say. I cringe to myself. How do I bring it up?
'Right.' He says. Whilst he was previously tinkering with something out of sight, he now gives me his undivided attention, 'so you just wanted to catch up?' He asks, speculative.
'Uhuh?' I say. He laughs a little and nods.
'C'mon kid, out with it. What'd you do?' He says. I close my eyes for a moment, prepping myself.
'I, uh, the internship. You know, the cover story we use?' I say.
'Sure.' He says, 'what about it?'
'I want to do it.' I say, quickly. No backing out now, 'I want to work for you. In the non-superhero way. I don't know if that's a thing you do...or if I'm qualified, or whatever. But I'd like to. If that's cool.' I say. I can't meet his eyes. I just study the floor.
He's silent for a bit and then, 'Okay. Yeah.'
'What? Really?' I ask, looking up at him, surprised. I see he's smiling slightly.
'Yeah, course. I didn't realise you were actually interested. Course you can come down here. How does tomorrow after school sound?' He says.
'Yeah. Yes.' I say, 'thanks Mr.Stark. This is great. Thanks.'
'It's Tony. I'll see you tomorrow.' He says, and hangs up.