xviii. Blue Hawaii

EIGHTEEN BLUE HAWAII

       MORNINGS AFTER FULL MOONS aren't always particularly eventful, however they always consist of bones needing to be cracked, but the fear of splitting apart scabs stops Remus Lupin from moving his limbs around in circular motions to make the bones click. They normally also feature a slow trudge from Gryffindor tower to the Great Hall, where he plants himself at his house's table and makes himself eat a good breakfast.

       By 'good breakfast' he means the sort that his mum makes on Sunday mornings. Ones with black pudding and fried eggs, the kind that's a plateful and a nightmare to wolf — ha — down before lessons start, but it's the right thing to do, surely? Full moons are terrible, from sunset to dawn. He's under the impression that a hearty breakfast is the right thing to refuel, once the sunshine has pushed away the moonlight.

       Yesterday wasn't a full moon, but he still feels the need to eat something with a little more protein and all of those nutrient things his dad goes on about. The scabs to deep scratches are still making it impossible to contort and stretch and make his bones click. Sometimes a full moon is a little worse than other times, but this one wasn't just oh, someone staggered out from The Hog's Head and towards the Shrieking Shack, was close enough for Remus to become aware of it, and the only way to stop him from going after him was for his friends to trick him into hurting himself, to distract him whilst a kind rat turned into a panicked teenaged boy and pulled the drunk wizard to safety.

       This one began with one exam last. He could almost taste the ice-lollies that the summer holidays brought, as he made his way to the Shrieking Shack. This full moon wasn't meant to be out of the ordinary — but, then they're never planned to be different, are they?

       The full moon two nights ago began feeling hopeful, starting a little later than usual due to the nature of summertime, and it ended fine, he thought, until he returned to his senses and his friends told him that, "You managed to escape last night... We lost you for a little while, but nothing could've happened, don't worry, Moony..."