9. The Mid-Night Calls

Last race's unfortunate incident keeps playing over and over. Jules Bianchi should be fighting for a seat in Ferrari at this point and not for his life. Stay strong, Jules! 

                      X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X

"-they were super sick. If you'd seen them, you would've fallen in love!" He cried in excitement.

I hummed in response.

"Dia?"

I was too busy tallying the numbers and references to pay attention to what Seb was saying. I would just occasionally respond so that it doesn't look like I'm not paying attention. I'm such a smug!

"-I'm gay!" He said.

I hummed in response, again.

"DIANA JOSEPH! You aren't listening to me!" He shouted through the phone.

"Whaa- How can you say that? I-" Okay, now he had my attention. Complete. 

"Are you sleeping on me again?" There was a pause. "I didn't mean that, I wa-"

I laughed. "No, I'm not. And that was just once, okay!" I defended myself.

"Not unless that 'once' happens every night." He accused. 

"That. Is. So. Not. True. Mister. Take it back!"

In retrospect, it was definitely true. We both talk everyday; mostly, he would call me after he was done with his day. And that would be around 2 or 3 am. The time of the night that I either sleep without a care in the world or work. So, basically, it's not my fault. I try to give in my 100% to his call but usually my effort lacks from about 90%. But whatever it may be, I could never bring myself to tell him to not call at such odd times. I loved hearing his soft dreamy voice with a German accent. I didn't have to pretend when I was with Seb. Despite being a 25 year old frog I am, behaving like a 12 year old was natural to me and he never demeaned it. There were times when I felt that he was just like any other friend, a funny adorable guy I met in London. He was a 4-time world champion but he never displayed any kind of arrogance or pride that people with such achievements would normally have. He was like your guy-next-door.

"Admit it you were sleeping!"

"I wasn't. I was just.."

"Just?"

"Working."

"You make me feel like a radio." 

"That was the whole point." 

"You are so pa-" He sounded defeated.

I  interrupted him, "Amazing? I know, Bubbles. I just wake up everyday with no plans of surpassing my awesome-ness, but it just naturally happens." 

He chuckled. "Bubbles? Geez, Dia, you're nicknames are getting worse day by day."

"Hey you! Bubbles is a nice name."

"It's a girl's name for crying out loud."

"A girl who's way too innocent for her own good but is superly cute and has a heartwarming smile."

"Are you saying I'm super cute and that I have a heartwarming smile?"

"Pfft! Don't flatter yourself, monseiur!" I heard him chuckle again. "Anyways, how's China treating you"?

We talked for about an hour before saying our goodnight's.

********

The next night, I decided to call him in an attempt to strengthen my case should I decide to sleep during the poor man's call ever again. I swear those aren't intentional at all. It just happens.