37. The Proposal - Part II

"Once a deep and powerful connection between two people has been made, they become a vital part of each other's lives and there is no separating them. No measure of distance or duration of silence can prevent the outbreak of smiles and laughter or the strong desire to leap into each other's arms when they come together once more."

"What happened?" Sam curiously peaked out of the door eyeing me with suspicion.

I put on my best fake smile as I shrugged my shoulders, instantly deciding against telling her anything.

She cocked her eyebrow, "Then why do you look like someone stole your favourite toy?"

"Everything's fine." I said convincingly, or at least I thought I did as I brushed past her and towards Abigail.

She looked a little relaxed as compared to before as she ate ice cream while watching some Disney cartoons.

I gently kissed her head causing her to look up from the television's screen. Her eyes were matt, they lacked the shine and the excitement a kid should possess.

"I'll be back soon." I assured her.

"Pinky promise?" She looked up at me innocently.

I promised and with that she nodded without another word and diverted her focus to the silly cartoons and the ice-cream.

I gathered my things quickly knowing how late I was already. However, Sam stopped me before I made a hurried exit.

"You're acting very weird." She narrowed her eyes as if catching on to things.

"She ran out of the house, last night, looking for her mother. Look after her, please." I stated with-holding any emotion I could and bolted right out of the apartment. I knew if I stayed a second longer I would have blurted everything-one thing I wasn't ready to do because I still couldn't process why he did what he did.

I mean why me?

** ** ** ** ** **

"Remember to release the brake and step on the accelerator,simultaneously, as you reach the apex. Keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times and try to keep the car in control. Slowly kill the speed if you feel that the car is growing even a little bit out of control." His sweet voice buzzed through the headphones.

"Got it!" I said gripping the steering wheel of the car tightly. To say that I was nervous would probably be an understatement of my situation. Don't get me wrong, I was excited as hell but the fact that about 30-40 people were staff members were in the garage and on the sidelines to watch their four time F1 world champion's girlfriend drive his Infiniti around the German circuit literally loosened all confidence I had. He knew the circuit at the back of his hand for fuck's sake and I had never been around a karting ring let alone an F1 circuit.

The headphones produced a shrieking sound yet again. "Are you nervous, my little cheesecake?" I heard him chuckle softly.

"No!" I lied almost instantly.

"Relax," He whispered in the microphone, from the passenger seat beside me, sending jolts of shiver through my body as he came to rest his soft warm hand over my cold one in the steering wheel. " Just enjoy this!"

I scorned at him, "Easy for you to say.."

"Hey", He continued in a soft and caressing voice, "I brought you here to experience the thrill of driving on a track. There is nothing to be nervous about. Just relax and have fun with the twists and turns."