Ch. 5: The Delusional Ex

Star and I were shopping in Forever 21. She was in the dressing room trying on some clothes while I cruised the dress section.

I could easily use the credit card John gave me and go splurge at stores like Saks Fifth Avenue or Nordstrom but I would never take advantage of his money like that. He did enough for me already. So I liked to keep it simple with the stores I shopped in before he came into our lives.

I already had the dress I was going to wear on my date with Khalil in mind but I was still looking because I thought I might find one that I liked better. I was really excited to see what he had planned. I was sure it was nothing extravagant but I still liked the idea of going on a date. It's been so long since I've allowed someone to get close enough to me to be able to go on a date. It was a strange feeling but in a good way.

I looked up and did a double take when I noticed Courtney, Kendall, and some guy walk through the doors. Kendall waved at me and smiled. I returned the gesture and she walked over to me. We've gotten to know each other more since she was Khalil's cousin and we were always together. She was sweet. Nothing like her friend, Courtney, who hated my guts because she knew Khalil was infatuated with me.

"Hey girl." She said hugging me tightly and I released a painful groan from her squeezing me so hard.

"Hey pretty." I smiled.

"So," she said cheesing, "I haven't seen you in a minute. What's up with you and my cousin?"

It was too late to stop the smile that forced itself onto my face. She nudged me as if telling me to open up to her. She asked me the same question every time I saw her, hoping that eventually she'd get the answer she wanted. She was very fond of me which I appreciated but it still felt weird to me because her closest friend resented me.

"Come on. Tell me." She nudged my arm.

"He asked me to be his girlfriend today." I told her calmly as I checked the price tag on a glittery short dress.

She gasped. "And?" She asked excitedly.

I sighed. I felt uncomfortable speaking about it. Don't get me wrong, the thought of being Khalil's girlfriend made my stomach swarm with butterflies, but I wasn't used to speaking to someone other than Star about my personal business. I always just kept it cute and casual with my peers.

I watched the genuine happiness in her face and it made me smile. She was so sweet and loving all the time. How does she do that?

"I told him yes."

She squealed and hugged me again and I felt my back crack from her aggressive affections. In a way, my body felt relieved of the tension there so I didn't complain.

"Aww, finally. He can't stop talking about you, it's crazy. I'm really just happy for him because I know how much he likes you. But I'm also happy for you because I know you have a good boyfriend. Khay's the sweetest, I swear."

"Yeah, I know." I sigh and put the dress back on the rack. "I just have to get used to the idea."

I looked over her shoulder where I noticed Courtney making out with the guy who was with them. I've seen him around school before. He was on Damion's team and I knew what those cocky players were like. Probably just looking for his next victim. That's exactly why I never took Damion's advances seriously. I shook my head and diverted my attention back to the clothing items.

Kendall didn't notice so she just began to ramble about something. I tended to zone her out and I felt so bad sometimes but I couldn't help it. Sometimes I wasn't as social as I'd like to be. Which is why girls liked to say that I thought I was better than them.