Ch. 1: New Encounters

India Love Westbrook

I stepped out of my shower wrapping a towel around my full head of curly hair

I stepped out of my shower wrapping a towel around my full head of curly hair. I didn't have any plans. I just wanted to hit the sheets that night and progress to watching my favorite series on Netflix.

Cool breeze danced through my open window and tickled my damp skin. I closed my eyes and embraced the nostalgic feeling. On such a night, with a bright full moon and shining stars, I would have been out with Daniel and his best friend, Cameron and my bestfriend, Star. We would have found something fun to do among us teens. They always knew how to make me loosen up. Since Daniel moved, Cameron hasn't been around. Last I heard he got into a fight with his father and was kicked out then later dropped out of high school. I often hoped he was okay. I missed his goofy personality and hearing his obnoxious laugh.

"Open this damn door," My best friend, Star, shouted as she knocked on my bedroom door.

"No, I'm changing," I yelled, quickly searching through my drawers trying to find clothes to wear.

"Oh well, it's not like you have something I've never seen before. We're both girls remember." I heard her laugh.

"Whatever."

I settled for shorts and struggled to get a tank top over my towel wrapped head. Once I pulled the shirt down my abdomen and tied the strings on my cotton shorts, I opened the door for her.

"Took you long enough." She walked past me to sit on my queen-sized bed.

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be on a date with Bobby?" I ran a hand through my damp hair and searched for my iPhone

"Yes but I just knew you would be home sulking and I would not be able to enjoy myself knowing you're unhappy." She pouted her lips exaggeratedly.

"Thank you for being concerned but I'm fine. Really. Why wouldn't I be? Go out with your man." I sat next to her and signed into my Instagram account on my phone.

"If I leave you here, all you're gonna do is stalk Diggy online. Come on girl. Get over it. You're tripping over someone who doesn't even care that you exist anymore. He's out enjoying his life and doing his own thing. Why can't you do the same?"