Ch. 20: The Make-Up

India

I walked over to my parents smiling from ear to ear with my diploma in hand. It felt so amazing to finally get away from this hell hole. Now I had a reason to act grown. Since my mom always complained that I was not.

"I'm so proud of you honey, graduating with honors makes me feel like I've accomplished the greatest." My mom suffocated me in a tight hug. My step dad joined.

"Congratulations, baby girl." He kissed my forehead.

"Yeah, well at least we know its more than just air in that big ass head of hers." Cameron said as him and D walk up to us.

I gasped and punched his arm and my mother laughed.

"Shut up boy." Dad pushed his head.

"Come here hijo." My mom hugged Daniel. "I'm happy for you." She kissed his cheek.

" She kissed his cheek

"Congrats, son." John hugged Daniel. "I know your parents are proud," he said as he rubbed Daniel's back.

"Thanks." Daniel smiled sadly. You could see the sadness in his eyes.

I wished there was a way to take away his pain. I understood exactly how he felt about his parents not being able to see their baby boy graduate high school. He didn't even want to get out of bed this morning because he was crying said he would rather do it with his parents there. He was strong most of the time, but there were days that were very difficult.

I wished my dad was here. God, I missed that man so much. They said every girl's true first love is her daddy, so that explained why I was still so heartbroken that he was gone. I still couldn't believe it. But I still smiled despite the fact that I missed him because I knew he was always with me in spirit. I felt like I could always see a smile stretched across his handsome chocolate face.

"Where's Khalil honey? I haven't seen you guys talk all morning."

I shrugged. "I don't know."

John squinted his eyes at me already knowing that something was up between Khalil and I. I avoided his gaze and pretended like I was interested at what was going on in the crowd.

"Well, maybe it's because India chea-" Daniel hurriedly covered Cameron's mouth before he could finish that sentence.

I rolled my eyes at him and shook my head. If I had a gun...

"What?" My mom frowned.

"Nothing. He drank a redbull a little while ago. The sugar is going to his head." Daniel said and took his hand of off Cam's mouth.