Ch. 23: Never-Ending Mess Pt. 2

India

I squatted down behind the couch with my eyes shut tight and my hands over my ears. Tears streamed down my face as I sobbed loudly. I was scared to look up and see the consequences of the booming gunshots. My heart would just shatter to microscopic pieces. I began pleading and praying that I was just dreaming. My ringing ears from the loud sound told me otherwise.

"What the fuck is wrong with you niggas?!" I heard Cameron yell. I hurriedly stood and saw him holding a pistol in the air. The gun barrel still smoked from the two shots he just fired into the ceiling.

"Cam!" I rushed over to him and hugged him tightly as if my life depended on it. I cried into his chest and he wrapped his arms around me. I flinched as I felt the coldness from the metal gun he still held.

"I can't believe this shit," Trey mumbled as he stepped into the apartment and looked at the two idiots who visibly hated each other.

"I'm so sorry you have to go through this." Cameron said into my ear and kissed my forehead.

I wiped my tears. "It's all my fault. I caused all of this."

"No you didn't. Do not blame yourself for their stupid actions." He pulled away.

"Really? Can you put the gun down?" Trey asked Khalil who still held his weapon at Daniel's head.

I turned around to face them; my eyes still teary. "Please," I said softly.

Khalil took a deep breath before lowering his gun.
Daniel's hands were at his sides. He still gripped the gun in one hand but he no longer seemed trigger happy. A single tear trickled down Daniel's cheek and he angrily wiped it.

I get it. He was hurt, confused, and wanted to retaliate but he should've at least considered my feelings. He seemed like he was giving up on everything. Like he was defeated.

"Are you insane?" Cameron walked over to Daniel and pushed him. Daniel stumbled but didn't seem triggered by Cameron putting his hands on him.

"How did you know I was gonna be here?" D asked Cam.

"I got the email too. I knew you'd come straight here."

"Oh." Daniel looked up at me with those eyes of his. He didn't have to say anything. I knew how badly he wanted to apologize for not thinking about what he was doing. He felt ashamed of his actions, I could tell.

I looked away from him, not being able to stand looking at him at the moment. I hated the thought that he actually showed up here to take Khalil's life. I didn't know Daniel as that person and I didn't want to.

"Baby..." Khalil came over to me and pulled me into his embrace.

"Don't." I stopped him from saying anything. "I don't wanna hear it." I cried into his chest.

I couldn't believe what had just taken place.

"I'm sorry baby." He took my face into his hands and kissed my lips repeatedly.

"Khalil," I said softly, "I've never seen you that way before. It's as if you were a totally different person."

"This is me babe. He just got under my skin. That's all." He caressed my face.