Ch. 2: Just A Coincidence

I woke up Monday to my alarm sounding off. I lazily looked at the time. 6:00 AM. I had to be at school by 8 but I needed the two hours to get dressed and do my hair, pick up Star, and drop by Starbucks on the way to school.

I got out of bed and walked over to my closet to pick out an outfit. I chose to wear something simple. Black distressed skinny jeans, a pair of all white Nike AF1s, and a black graphic T-Shirt. I didn't feel like being dressy, on a Monday especially. I quickly showered and got dressed. I put my hair in a messy bun. By the time I finished, it was 7:15 which gave me enough time to grab a snack.

I was an only child so my mom spoiled me. I still hadn't gotten used to not eating real breakfast in the morning. I made sure I had everything in my backpack before locking my room door. I headed downstairs and grabbed a granola bar. I turned around only to be startled by my mom.

"Dang mom. What are you trying to do? Give me a heart attack?!" I asked trying to regain my normal breathing.

"No, sorry honey I didn't mean to scare you. Drive safe." She said giving me a big and kiss on my forehead.

"Bye mom. Love you." I yelled before closing the door behind me. I got into my white Mercedes Benz AMG E53 and pulled out the driveway. It was my 18th birthday present from John.

As I pulled up to Star's house I pulled out my phone to call her but she didn't answer. I tried two more times. Nothing. I got out of my car and walked up to the porch. I rang the doorbell but there was no answer. Her parents' cars weren't in the driveway neither.

"Star!" I yelled as I was getting impatient.

I kept calling her and banging on the front door. I was upset that I was waiting so long so I went back to my car. I figured she must have had Bobby take her to school. But she could have at least had the decency to say so.

I only had 10 minutes to reach to school on time so I figured why not still get me some Starbucks. At least I would be late and happy. I enjoyed my music and sat through the busy Drive-Thru line as if I didn't have anywhere to be. I settled for a warm cheese danish and my comfort drink; a peppermint mocha Frappuccino.

As I walked into class late, Mr. Graham, my Calculus teacher, turned away from writing on the board and looked at me disapprovingly and shook his head. "Do you have a late pass, Miss Westbrook?"

"No sir. I accidentally threw it away with my napkin and there's a long line at the office. I didn't want to be more late and miss the lecture. I apologize," I lied.

He looked me up and down and rolled his eyes. "Whatever."

"Thank you," I smiled and walked to my seat.

"You could've at least brought me a black coffee from Starbucks," he said as I took my seat.

I laughed, "No offense, Mr. Graham, but the last thing on my mind to purchase is black coffee. But I'll get you one next time."

He laughed and turned back to the whiteboard. "Touché." He was one of my favorite teachers because he at least had some humor and didn't mind joking with his students. He was that way with all of us.

I sat in the back of class listening to Mr. Graham go on and on about the x and y axis. I didn't know why he was still going over that because of the fact that we were seniors and were graduating in less than 6 months. I rolled my eyes and slouched in my chair, not paying attention. It seemed like I was listening intently because I was staring at Mr. Graham but I was honestly just daydreaming as I admired how attractive he was. He reminded me of Trey Songz.