Newest Member

Sybil stood alone in the forest as she waited for someone to arrive. Tapping her feet on the soil impatiently and looked around constantly. She was close to walking out and continuing her day, when she heard the sound of leaves crunching.

"Finally, what the hell took you so long?" Sybil asked. Out from behind the trees emerged Jay. Jay held up his hands that said, Chill out, man.

"Had to make up an excuse to the team. Told them I had a date." Jay smirks wrapping an arm around Sybil's shoulder. Sybil gagged and pushed his arm off.

"Do that again and I'll have the woodland creatures come after you." It sounded both adorable and threatening. Jay decided not to take his chances.

"Alright, I got it. Not a physical contact kind of girl." Jay assured. Sybil rolled her eyes.

"More like not a Jay kind of girl. You're bad boy charms won't work on me." Sybil said. Jay tilts his head to the side.

"What about bad girl charm?" Jay said, smirking.

"What?" Sybil asked.

"I saw you and your brother argue. He didn't like the way you and Evie were close." Jay said, switching from one topic to another.

"That's between me and Scott and no one else's business." Sybil said, she pushed her finger and Jay's chest and pushed him back. Jay nods in agreement.

"I was gonna punch the lights out of him but you defended Evie, so losing his sister was enough of a punishment." Jay said. Sybil shook her head in disagreement.

"He will never lose me. We are bonded by blood and no one can change that. As for defending Evie, I would have defended anyone. I don't just cherry-pick who I want protect." Sybil said. Her word were strong and true that Jay was speechless. No joke or snarky comment coming out of him. The silence made Sybil nervous.

"So now what? You changed the topic left and right and all I want to know is why I'm here." Sybil got down to the point. Jay looked around before sitting down on a log.

"I just got a few questions and then you can be free and frolic with your woodland creatures." Jay joked. Sybil wanted to know him off the log and leave him there. "First off, what exactly was that party the other night?"

Sybil rolled her eyes. "It wasn't just a party, that was our farewell for the older members. We're a secret society."

"And the costumes?" Jay asked.

"We like to dress up and create activities." Sybil answered.

"How many of you are there?"

"Kids from the ages of 13-19, all around Auradon. Only the once who can keep the secret hidden in their hearts."

"How many people know about this?"

"Some people believe we exist, but don't have proof. So, what now? You gonna tell everyone? No one will believe you and even if they did you don't have evidence." Sybil answered. Maybe she was worried that Jay could tell everyone and the Life and Death Brigade will be finished forever.

"Don't worry, this is the only exciting that's happened since I got here. I'll keep your secret... on one condition." Jay said with a smirk.

"What?"

"Well..."

"What?" Sybil said more impatiently.

"I want in." Jay said. Sybil froze.

"Excuse me?" She asked.

"You heard me. I want in on your secret society."

"Why?"

"I'm interested. It looks like a blast." Jay answered

"You can't just say you're in. There are protocols to becoming a member. Since your from the isle, you'll need a sponsor." Sybil said. She did her best not to allow him in or convince him not to join but it was difficult.

"What for?"

"Almost all of our members come from rich families, the ones who don't are sponsored by old or current members." Sybil said.

"How do I get a sponsor then?" Jay asked.

"You missed our last pledge, the next one is in a few months. So sorry." Sybil said sarcastically. She turned to leave the forest when Jay spoke up again.

"Or..."

"What now?" Sybil asked, turning around. Jay wore a goofy look on his face and only pointed at Sybil. Sybil knew now that Jay wasn't going to give up easily.

*~*~*~*~*

At the lunch benches, Evie showed Doug her test score. She smiled happily at it.

"For the first time, It's like I'm more than just a pretty face." Evie said.

"A shocker, huh?" Doug asked. Evie smiled.

"You know...Sybil likes people who believe in themselves, and she's the top student in science  so she can help you out." Doug recommended. Evie lost her smile and looked down at her hands.

"How did you know?" Evie asked. Doug shrugged.

"I see the way you look at her, everyone can see it, except Sybil."

"She hates me. I doubt she'll ever look me in the eyes, ever again."

"That's not true. Sybil isn't that kind of person, Scott, yeah, but not Sybil. You just gotta be patience." Doug said. Evie smiled again and hugged Doug.

"Thank you." Evie said. At that moment, far from the table, Sybil saw them hug. She looked away and walked off. She felt weird, almost like it hurt to see them hugging like that.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sorry for errors.