Chapter 15

Quick A/N. Do you guys want me to write a chapter about the trip or just finish up the story?

Eren POV:

The next day, we were able to go home. The police had cleaned up everything and even replaced the window Mina broke through. Levi still had me hold his hand as he checked every room and every window to make sure that no one was here and everything was locked.

Once he felt safe, we changed into our own clothes. Levi took one of my sweaters and a pair of comfortable pajama pants while I just put on sweats and a t-shirt. He guided me back to the living room and sat down on the couch. He closed his eyes.

"You okay?" I asked as I sat down beside him. Levi snuggled into my side and nodded.

"I think so. I'm glad to be home."

"Me too." I wrapped both arms around him and gently lifted him onto my lap. Levi let his head rest over my heart. His arms curled around my waist and he sighed.

"I'm hungry, but I don't wanna let go of you." I smiled and kissed his scalp.

"Then we'll stay like this for a couple minutes before I start something. I know you'll probably still need something easy on the stomach, so how about a chicken cassarole? I have a recipie from my mom that I think you'll like." Levi smiled and nodded.

"Okay." He shifted a little and looked up at me. "You have no idea how grateful I am for this. All of this." He turned his gaze to the side and continued speaking. "I've never really had anyone I could go to for help besides my mom, and she's always been busy. Even as a child, I don't really remember her being able to hang around much. I don't hold it against her. I love my mom. She just has a strenuous job.

"But, I've always been lonely. You... you make me feel whole. And safe. No matter how much it may seem like I'm still afraid of what happened, I mean it when I say that I feel safe around you." He looked back up at me. His steely blue eyes held so much emotion that it looked like he wanted to cry.

"Promise me something. No matter what may happen, stay by my side. Even if... even if we break up in the future, promise me you'll still be around." I cupped his cheek, letting my thumb rub over it.

"Do you really think, after all we've been through, that I would ever leave?" Levi's facial expression shifted slightly in a way I couldn't really read, but he said nothing and just let me talk.

"Levi, even if I wanted to leave, I don't think I could. You're a part of me now. I don't expect you to heal overnight. And I don't expect you to have no reaction just because you feel safe around me when you're awake. You can't control your subconscious.

"No matter what, I won't leave you. Not ever again. Okay?" A tear rolled down Levi's cheek and I wiped it away with my thumb. He nodded, fighting back tears.

"You don't need to be strong. Just let me hold you while you're weak. Let me build you back up. Let me be your polaris to guide you back home." And with that, he started to cry again as he pulled me into a sweet kiss. It wasn't rushed or heated, but it was full of emotion that neither one of us could speak.

Pain. Hope. Fear. Trust. Sadness. Love. And so much more.

We kissed until we couldn't kiss anymore for lack of oxygen. But even when we parted, our foreheads rested against eachother. Levi's eyes were still tightly shut and leaking the occasional tear, but his expression was happy. I studied his features and traced over the lines of his cheekbone and jaw with my fingers until his eyes opened and he took a deep breath.

"Let's go make that cassarole. I'm starving," He said with a smile. I smiled back and stood up. I helped him to his feet and we walked hand in hand to the kitchen.

It was a simple recipe. Cream of mushroom, rice, chicken, and green beans. But what I thought made it special was the way my mom taught me to crush cornflakes over the cheese on the top to make a kind of crust. It gave it a crunch that made it feel different.

It didn't take long to mix everything up and put the pan in the oven to cook, so Levi and I were quickly back on that couch holding eachother close. We sat in comfortable silence for a few minutes before Levi's tentative voice broke it.

"How did you find me?" He seemed a little reluctant to ask, but genuinely curious.

"I guess the forensics squad didn't think to look for obvious hints. I found a piece of a newspaper with some houses that were for sale and saw one circled. I figured that unless you dropped it, it probably belonged to Mina. If it didn't, I'd just leave. But I thought it was as good a lead as any. I got lucky. She was sloppy." Levi looked up at me.

"You said she gave you a concussion. Are you okay?" I smiled.

"I'm fine. I think they exaggerated how bad it was. I really don't feel it unless I'm looking at a screen for too long or in bright lights. I'd tell you if I were in pain." That answer seemed to satisfy him and he tucked his head back under my chin. I returned to rubbing his back and listening to his breathing.

After about thirty minutes, the food was ready. We got up and dished out the food. Levi ate it without hesitation, but he still held my hand tightly.

After cleaning the dishes, I put away the leftovers and picked Levi up. He squeaked and wrapped his arms around my neck.

"How about a nice bath?" I asked. He smiled a little and nodded. I carried him to the bathroom and set him on the lid of the toilet to fill the tub.

After making sure the temperature was right and it was filling up, I turned around. Levi was staring at me. I smiled and helped him out of his clothes before removing mine as well.

We sat together in the tub for a while, just enjoying the warmth and the comfort of the situation. I squeezed some shampoo into my hand and massaged it into Levi's scalp. He hummed and leaned his head back.

The bath continued like that. Lazily washing eachother without a care in the world.

We were in the water for a good fourty minutes before the water started getting cold. I unplugged the drain and got out. Levi followed behind me. I handed him a towel and wrapped one around my waist.

We dried off quickly and got dressed in proper pajamas before cuddling up in bed. Clean, calm, and carefree, we spent the day in quiet conversation. I felt accomplished when I made Levi laugh or smile. He did this thing where he'd smack my shoulder lightly if he laughed too hard. But then right after, he's snuggle into my chest.

Slowly, we drifted off to sleep. Our bed was comfortable and it finally felt like normal again.

We were home.