Chapter 14

Levi POV:

After I managed to compose myself, Eren let Miche in with a set of clothes. He'd managed to find a clean and unused training uniform, meant for brand new officers while they waited for an official position, and with such, a regulation uniform. It was too big on me, as expected, but I felt a little less self-conscious now that a blanket wasn't the only thing covering me.

Eren took me to make our statements. Erwin seemed to notice that I had been crying, but he didn't say anything. I was grateful for that.

It took Eren about an hour to write his report, so he stayed by my side as I recounted what had happened in Mina's basement. They told me I had been gone for two days, but it felt like so much longer.

My hand started to shake as I drew up the fresh memories. Eren noticed and took the opportunity to get me away from the stress, even if he knew I had to come back to it later.

"He said he hadn't eaten her food, which means he probably hadn't eaten anything since before the attack. We should take a break and get him something to eat." Erwin looked at his watch and nodded.

"We only have a few options here. Mainly just soups and things of the like. Do you want to order take out? We can't let you leave the premises until your statements are complete. Sorry. Not my rules."

"It's fine, but I really don't think I'm up for fast food. Soup would probably be a better idea." I hadn't really realized just how hungry I was until we started talking about it.

Eren placed a hand on my shoulder, grabbing my attention again. "Do you wanna come with me while I make it?" It was the offer he knew Erwin needed to let me out of his sight. He couldn't let me wander around, understandably. He was the one in charge of my legal safety at this point.

I looked up at Eren and nodded.

He smiled at me and gently helped me to my feet. After we were outside of the room, Eren crouched down enough to be just below my eye level.

"You alright? You're starting to shake again." Damn him. He can always see right through me.

"It's just hard to relive it. I had forced down my fear so she wouldn't have an advantage over me, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there." Eren cupped my face and rested our foreheads together.

"I know. I understand. You just have to finish the statement. We'll probably have a week or two before there's a hearing to decide what to do with Mina after that." He stood up and wrapped me in his arms. "I'm gonna take you to Paris. Get your mind off of things and keep you away from the media."

I took a deep breath and hugged him back. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it." He ruffled my hair and pulled away. "How about we get you that soup?" I smiled and nodded.

We walked hand in hand through the station to their cafeteria. The free range pantry wasn't hard to find. A can of Campbell's chicken noodle soup was sitting on the shelf, almost like it was waiting for us.

Eren gently sat me on a chair near him so he could cook it. He didn't have to do much. The station had a microwave, afterall.

When it was ready, he sat beside me and just talked while I ate. He told me all about where he wanted to go in Paris. He'd been there before a few times for photography gigs, but apparently never for just a vacation.

We both needed one.

"If you don't end up wanting to go out and do anything, that's fine. I'll just have to bring you back a different time." I had my mouth full, so I just nodded.

I finished the bowl and Eren took it to wash it out. I looked down at my hands.

"You don't have to do everything for me. I don't wanna be a burden."

"You're not a burden. And I'm just washing a bowl. You don't need to feel bad about that." Eren sent a reassuring smile at me over his shoulder. He really was trying so hard to happy.

I can tell he had been been worried sick just from the way he touches me now. Tentative. Afraid I might startle. But after he realizes I'm okay, his grip is like iron. I know it's because he's afraid to let go. He worries he'll lose me that same way I worry I'll lose him. But Eren doesn't like to show fear, much like me, so he never says anything about it.

I wanted him to know I was okay. Well, not entirely okay, but I know I'm safe now. I stood up and hugged him from behind. Eren set down the bowl with a shaky exhale and dried his hands before he turned around. His arms were around me in an instant.

"How can you see right through me?" He mumbled.

"Same way you can see through me." I pulled back and looked up at him. "Because I love you." He placed a gentle hand on my cheek and leaned down to kiss me.

It was soft, fleeting. But it meant so much. Both of us acknowledged eachother's fear and pain and decided not to hide it from one another. But at the same time, we both got the reassurance we needed to know the other would be okay. Eventually.

Eren reluctantly pulled back and took my hand. We walked back to the office. He traced his thumb over the back of mine as I finished writing out my statement.

When I finally finished, Erwin brought us to a room they said they used for witnesses who either wanted or had to stay the night. It was nothing fancy. Two double beds on either side of the room. But it was enough.

Eren and I settled down for some much needed rest. Of course, only one bed was used. We needed eachother more than anything else at the moment.

Neither one of us had nightclothes, so we settled for just underwear. Nothing sensual was implied. Nothing even came to mind. I certainly wasn't in the mood for anything, and I don't think Eren was either.

So, we curled up together under the covers of that little bed. Our limbs tangled together and it was cramped, but it felt safe.

I let myself fall asleep for the first time in two days in the arms of the man I love.

He held me all night long.