Chapter 4

Eren POV:

"What the hell did you do to him?!" I screamed at Farlan.

"I swear I didn't do anything!"

"Call for help, you damn fool!" I clutched Levi to my chest. He's so cold.

I tug off my suit jacket and wrap it around his already-clothed body. What do I do?

Just when Farlan pulled his phone out, Levi gasped and sat up abruptly.

"Levi? Levi, are you okay?!"

"I-I think so... what happened?"

"You collapsed. Do you know why?" Levi furrowed his brow. He's still shivering.

"I-I d-don't know. I'm s-so c-cold." His teeth chattered together as I held him.

"Let me take you back to my place. I'll get you warmed up." He nodded and buried his face in my shoulder as I lifted his small frame. It was a bad idea to have him bare for so long.

I ran to my car and set Levi down in the passenger seat, buckling him in. I drove home as fast as the law would allow me.

When we got to my place, I gathered all the blankets I had as well as a space heater just in case. Still trembling, Levi clawed at the blankets to wrap them around himself.

Even with the space heater on, he didn't stop shivering.

"Are you still cold?"

"N-No, b-but I can't stop sh-shaking. E-Eren I'm s-scared! W-What do I d-do?!"

Desperately trying to comfort Levi, who was beginning to cry, I kissed his forehead on instinct. After his face flushed, I realised what I'd done.

"U-Uhh... sorry it was an impulse." Levi studied my eyes for a moment and then blushed and turned his face away. I chuckled a bit to see him act so much like a school girl in lo- wait... is he blushing?

Levi pulled the blanket to cover his cheeks. He was still shaking with tears running down his face, but he didn't try to move away as most would if they were uncomfortable. On the contrary, he seemed to cuddle a little closer to my chest. I held him tightly, hoping that he was at least a little comforted by my actions. It's not easy to pass out like that in front of people. Especially someone you work for. It's highly embarrassing to deal with, so I understand that Levi might be mentally hurt. That could be why he's still shaking. But what made him so cold?

While I was debating the possibilities of the matter at hand, I heard Levi sniffle softly. I turn my face down to look at him, but see my worst nightmare as his friend... and admirer.

He was trying desperately to muffle his sobs as hot tears streamed from his eyes into the blankets.

I pulled the blanket down just far enough for me to see his face, but he quickly covered himself with his hands.

"Levi, I... is there anything I can do?"

At that moment, Levi curled his arms around my neck, molded into a tight little ball, and just sobbed into my shoulder. The sight was truly heartbreaking.

"H-Help me p-please! E-Eren, I'm so s-scared. What do I d-do?!" He choked out between his cries.

I held him as close as I possibly could and rocked his small frame in my arms. Back and forth. Back and forth. Leaning in to his ear, I whispered, "I'm here. You're not alone, Levi. I've got you. You're safe with me. Nothing is gonna hurt you. I won't let it."

My words seemed to calm him a little. After a few more minutes of calming speech and hugging, I managed to get Levi to stop crying. He ended up being extremely tired after the whole ordeal, and I can see why. He's had a really rough day.

I brought Levi a tall glass of water, which he happily gulped down before gently placing it back in my hands.

When I walked back into the room after washing the glass, Levi was asleep on the couch where I left him. Curled up like a caterpillar in a soft cocoon, he slept peacefully: not shaking, not crying, just sleep.

I ended up curling next to him and stroking his back gently until My thoughts began to wander.

Why was Levi so cold in the first place? What caused him to collapse? Did someone do something to him? But why would anyone want to hurt him? Levi's so kind.

I gently traced the features of Levi's sleeping face. I found myself asking questions that referred to my own being.

Is Levi comfortable around me? Is there anything else I can do for him? Why does it feel so right to be next to him? Could he possibly ever come to like me the way I like him?