Together and Apart

Start from the beginning

"She warned me that I would lose you if I didn't see pass my foolishness, but that was not all she said to me. I went to find you in the garden when I heard Yugi crying out to his love..."

The twig felt heavy in his pocket and though he wanted to touch it his hands stayed still. "And then I saw her. I saw her ghost." Anzu had lingered in his garden waiting to give Yugi her last message and he never once felt her presence there. He would like to think that it was her spirit that made him so protective of that part of the garden, but it wasn't so. No, it was her attempt to destroy the gate and her final words that haunted him. 

Yami paused to think of his next words. He wasn't afraid of saying the wrong thing, just of not being understood. "I saw her and him. I saw the bond they had, still have, and it is only because I understood that bond that I felt compelled to approach Yugi."

Your lip quivered and you turned away from the demon. There was not a lie in his words, but your heart ached. Yami breathed in unsure if he should continue but found himself doing so as he slowly walked towards you. "I meant everything I said to him in the garden, 'Persona'. It is truly unjust that I have something that I stole from him. Something he would never harm or taint." He was at your back now, but you didn't want to face him just yet.

"Do you still believe what you did was right?"

"I don't know now. But I do regret it. I regret what my actions cost him." Regret. He claimed he didn't feel that before, so it was a start.

Yami stood right at your back but you still felt so far from him even with the warmth that radiated off you. Though you refused to be his queen, Milda still dressed you like one. The gown you wore showed off your shoulders and chest and was more formal then your usual dress.

He guessed that it was more for tonight's benefit than his since the two of you were going to be dealing with a vampire

He guessed that it was more for tonight's benefit than his since the two of you were going to be dealing with a vampire. The small scars of his marks were on display, but he couldn't see them through the veil of your hair.

You could feel his breath gently breezing through your hair and caressing your skin. It was a good thing that you didn't face him now because you still had one more question to ask before you dared let yourself get lost in his eyes or touch.

"Do you understand now that Yugi will never be more than a friend to me?"

"I do." A sharp gasp left your lips when his warm arms wrapped around you, trapping your arms and pulled you close to his chest. His head came next to yours saying, "I'm sorry, Persona, for not seeing pass my insecurity."

"Insecurity? I didn't think you knew the word." You joked without thinking. Yami rubbed his face next to your cheek and hummed taking your jab. A small crack opened in the link you had with him and through it you felt his love feathering at your heart. 

His hot breath flowed down your neck and over your chest as his deep voice said, "Would you rather I apologize for being a possessive asshole?" 

"You can do both." You said, not ready to let him off the hook just yet as more than his love for you started to leak into the link making you feel weak at the knees. "You're very versatile when you want to be. AH!" Yami covered your mark with his mouth and bit down playfully.