Charles Smith: Can't do this Alone

Start from the beginning

"I just have no appetite" you sighed as you rolled over on to your back, so that you were looking up at him.

"Y/N...we need to talk about this" Charles sighed, knowing that neither of you could continue without addressing the problem directly.

"I don't want to talk about it" you muttered as you sat up, leaning back against the headboard of the bed.

"I've been patient, knowing that you have to work through this on your own time, I understand that...but this is difficult for me too. I can't imagine what you are going through but I lost a child as well..." Charles spoke, finally deciding that it was time to be blunt about it.

As you looked at Charles, you began to tear up. You hadn't spoke to Charles about it before, always finding it too hard but he was right, it was time. "I've tried Charles, I've tried to move on and get back to normal but I just can't. I've tried to accept what happened but I...I can't...I can't..." you sighed, unable to even finish your sentence.

"'You can't' what?" Charles asked softly, taking one of your hands in his.

"I can't...forgive myself" you confessed, tears blurring your vision.

"Y/N, love...this is not your fault. None of this was your fault. Neither of us could have changed what happened, you cannot blame yourself for that" Charles assured you, his heart breaking at your confession. You turned your head to the side, unable to look him in the eyes. "You have to let me in, you can't keep trying to do this alone. You have to let me help you, we have to help each other. We have to work together to get through this" he told you as he cupped your cheek and turned your face to look at him, you knew that he was right, you couldn't do this without him.

"Okay" you nodded, your voice cracking with a soft sob.

with that, Charles' heart broke again. He moved to sit beside you, wrapping his arms around your body and holding you against his broad chest. He let you cry softly as he held you, gently stroking your hair.

After you stopped crying and your face had cleared up from the tears, you lifted your head and looked up at Charles. "Thank you Charles, I'm sorry about how I've been acting" you apologised, knowing that it couldn't have been easy for him either.

"Y/N, you have absolutely nothing to apologise for. I just want to start doing this together again" Charles assured you, running his fingers through your hair.

You nodded at him with a small smile before leaning up and kissing his cheek. Charles smiled back at you before leaning in and gently kissing you. You relaxed as you returned the slow and loving kiss.

It had been a while since you both kissed like this, in fact it was before you gave birth, since then you just haven't wanted him to touch you.

Charles gently lay you on your back without breaking the kiss, and you let him as you wrapped your arms around his neck. His large hand ran up your leg and up your thigh, slowly lifting the hem of your nightgown with his hand.

"Charles, stop" you swallowed thickly as you pulled away from the kiss.

Charles looked down at you and smiled softly, he knew exactly what was wrong. Ever since the loss, you have been very insecure and self deprecating, but he wanted to change that.

"Y/N, you are absolutely beautiful and have nothing to hide" Charles assured you, kissing your forehead before looking you in the eyes.

"Charles" you sighed, brushing your fingers of his cheek, not knowing what else to say.

"I love you so much, Y/N. I'm going to remind you just how beautiful and amazing you are" he promised you before pressing a kiss to your jaw.

"I love you too" you smiled softly, feeling so lucky to have Charles by your side.