You Become a Runner

-Thomas

"You ready?" Thomas asked as he tightened his fingerless leather gloves.

You only nodded, standing up after tying your boots laces.

It was early in the morning, no one was even awake yet. The sky was still dim with only a slight of sun light to lighten it up. Heck, the Maze gate wasn't even open yet. 3 more minutes till it opens, Thomas said. But today was your very first day to be a runner. You were dead nervous and scared about it, but still excited and motivated at the same time. You're not even a whole month old yet in the Maze, but due to a lot of pressure and problems inside the Glade, you were then chosen to be a runner.

With quite lots of arguments first, of course.

Thomas was surprisingly the one to go against you to be a runner, but admit in defeat and just let you be one with condition that you must run with and only him. He reasoned that you're still a Greenie and doesn't really know the Maze yet, so you somehow needs a guide. It's not like he memorizes every inch of it like Minho, but Thomas knows a thing or two about the Maze better than you do.

The ground grumbles as the gigantic gate opens up in front of your eyes. You take a deep breath and place your hands on the strap of your new leather vest straps, ready to run in. But before you can even take a step closer, Thomas took your hand. You turn your head to meet him, only to be welcomed with a clear worry on his face. He pulled you closer and kissed your forehead before letting out a sigh and said, "Promise me to always run by my side, yeah? Never let go of my hand, whatever happens. If something bad happens inside, I want you to take care of yourself first. Leave me if it means you can live and get back to the Glade for safety. Just- Just be safe, okay?"

"Thomas, it's just a day on the Maze" You said, softly "Nothing's gonna happen to me. To us"

Thomas smiled and cupped your cheeks, "But the Maze isn't as normal and ordinary as it sounds, [Y/N]. I'm not praying for anything bad to happen, but still.. Just be safe, okay?" He planted another kiss on your temple "I love you"

- Newt

You were running all over the Glade and Forest to find the 2nd in Command boy, Newt, all day but he just seem to be hiding from you somewhere. You've asked all Gladers if they know anything about his location, but they only shook their heads and shrugged. It's seriously getting in your nerve on whatever game he's playing, but once you see him, sitting alone under the tree near the West Gate, you know you can't keep your annoyance anymore.

"May I sit?" You asked, pointing at the spot next to him once you walked closer to him.

Newt looked up, doesn't give any other look but a blank stare before looking back to the field and threw away the piece of leaf he was playing with. The two of you sat next to each other, not saying a thing. You know he's upset with you, about the fact that you've been chosen to be a runner. You understand clearly why he's acting this way and is giving you such silent treatment, so the only thing you could do now is to wait for Newt to open up a conversation. Soon.

He let out a big sigh before finally spoke up, "I just don't understand"

You remained silent, waiting for him to continue his words.

"I just- I don't know. It's just bloody too much for me to think about"

"Then don't think about it, Newt. There's nothing to be worried about, I can take care of myself" You said, cutting him off before he continues to talk random sense "I'm becoming a runner, Newt, not being a scarification meat for the Grievers"

"That's my whole point, [Y/N]!" Newt yelled, standing up of his seat "Being a runner would mean nothing but to become the Griever's bait. It's like playing with the fire, bloody even worse. It's not just about mapping the shuck Maze or explore or find the way out once you get inside of it. You're also running yourself from the Grievers and traps that're placed all over the place! It's just too risky for anyone to get through with and to imagine you running around in there all day, is just- No. No, I can't"