FIFTY-SIX

that's what happens whenyou're responsible for lives other than your own, isn't it?you do what you have to do

you're responsible for lives
other than your own, isn't it?
you do what you have to do.

that's what happens whenyou're responsible for lives other than your own, isn't it?you do what you have to do

HERMIONE COULDN'T STOP LOOKING AT HIM. They all sat in the Great Hall—Robb, herself, Lady Catelyn, Lord Edmure and Blackfish on one side of the table and the two Frey mercenaries on the other. Robb still hadn't spoken about what happened after he came back from speaking with Jeyne, only continuing the topic of getting the Frey men. The next morning when Hermione had inquired about it, he had only told her that it had been nothing to worry about.

"Thank you for riding here so quickly," Robb started the meeting. "I know travel isn't easy in these times."

"The roads are crawling with cutthroats and bandits and when the King in the North summons us we come," one of the mercenaries said. He was taller and slimmer than his counterpart, Hermione noted with a horse face and wispy black hair.

"Lord Frey had instructed us to tell you that the alliance with the north can continue if his terms are met," the shorter stubbier mercenary with a bald head said. "He requires a formal apology for the violation of the sacred oath to marry one of his daughters."

Robb nodded glancing over at Hermione, "Of course he deserves as much, I was in the wrong."

"And as restitution for your betrayal," the tall one interjected. "He demands Harrenhal and all its intended lands."

Edmure scoffed, "I don't think that—

"We are fighting for the north," Robb cut him off, glaring at his uncle before looking to the Frey mercenaries again. "Harrenhal is not in the north and it is his... once the war is over and we have no strategic need for it."

"And there's something else."

"We will do whatever we can to give Lord Frey what he needs."

"Not what," the short one said, both of the mercenaries' eyes flickering over the Edmure. "Whom."

Everyone else followed their gaze to Edmure as well as he slowly caught on to what the two men were getting at. When the reigning lord of Riverrun finally did catch on he shook his head. "No."