FORTY-NINE

the only thing i know is this:i am full of wounds andstill standing on my feet

i am full of wounds and
still standing on my feet.

HERMIONE DIDN'T HEAR ANYTHING Logan was saying to her, but she resisted against his attempts to get her back onto her feet

HERMIONE DIDN'T HEAR ANYTHING Logan was saying to her, but she resisted against his attempts to get her back onto her feet. "Let me go!" She roared, tears blurring her eyes. There was too much pain everywhere. Her veins felt like they were on fire and her mind couldn't process a single thing that was happening to her.

All she knew was that her daughter's blood was staining her hands and face and dress. That the last thing Hermione had heard was Clare's cries for her mother and she hadn't been there to save her. Hermione couldn't even bear to turn the child over to pick her out from the wet-nurse's arms.

All she could do was cry and scream and thrash her body around as Logan tried to get her to stand up. "Hermione. Hermione!" He called, picking her off the ground entirely and pressing her against a large statue out of the clearing as to not have the lifeless bodies in her view. "Hermione, I know what you saw was terrible and horrible and life-ending, but I need to get you out of here now."

"I can't—

It was all she could manage before she gave in to the pain in her chest again. Her legs gave out from under her, Logan was holding her up entirely when the storm of metal began heading their way.

"Hermione I'm sorry," Logan gritted through his teeth before plucking the Camelotean from the ground and throwing her over his shoulder.

That familiar emptiness was creeping through her body again and Hermione can feel her legs and arms go numb. Nothing in the world mattered anymore.

There had been many times in her life she had been broken, but this was a feeling beyond anyone could fix. Shattered beyond repair with so many pieces of herself blowing away in the wind. More than that all she truly wanted to do was be on that ground again. To join her daughter wherever the afterlife took her and be with her for eternity because they didn't have enough time together.

"There they are!" The King's Guard now chasing them screamed. It looked to be more than twenty all racing down one pathway until they split into groups.

Arrows flew past and around both Hermione and Logan and she silently prayed for one of them to strike her. To put an end to this full-body pain she felt and bring her peace because it was life which was the true difficulty, not death.

Logan unsheathed his sword and right as he took a sharp turn left the metal collided with that of another guard.

Skillfully Logan parried and lunged, each time making sure that Hermione was safe until he elbowed the man in his face and plunged the sword through his armour. He found five other men singlehandedly before the grassy gardens turned into sand and rocks. The sounds of the waves crashing against the cliffside rang in Hermione when they stopped abruptly.

"Ser Logan," the clanking of metal rang in Hermione's ear again as the guards in front of Logan took their formation. "Give us the lady and surrender. We will not bring harm to you if you do and you'll be served and charged for your crimes."

Logan let Hermione slide off his shoulder before he caught her and propped her up against the rocks that climbed up the castle. "Sorry, but I made a promise and I intend to come through on it today." Screaming out, Hermione heard as he charged forwards.

The clanking and crashing of men falling met Hermione's ear. She couldn't bring herself to witness any more death then she had already seen so Hermione sat, back against the rock hoping for a quick death.

Though minutes passed before the battle silenced and Logan's pale blood-spattered face came into view. "Come on we got to go before more of them come," he said not waiting for her response before picking her up in his arms and rushing down the rest of the cliffside.

His pace was slower and his arms felt weak from carrying her. Hermione could hear the clattering of more of the King's Guards chasing after them. And despite her wishes and prayers, Logan set Hermione in the small boat and began pushing it away from shore before jumping in himself.

Grabbing the paddles she watched as the men shot arrows, and knives trying to stop them. Each of the objects falling pitilessly into the ocean.

"You did it." Her voice was lifeless and thin.

"Didn't I tell you I would," he grinned eyes soft as he watched her. They could still hear the shouting of men from the shore. "Hermione, I'm sorry that—

Suddenly Logan broke into a fit of coughs, his hand letting go of the paddle to cover his mouth. Then pulling away Hermione saw a dribble of blood fall from his mouth.

"Lo-Logan?" Hermione whispered as his breathing became wheezy.

The young man gave Hermione a bloody smile as his posture began to waver. "I'm sorry," he slurred.

"Hey, hey," Hermione whispered finding the strength to move closer to him and hold his paling face in her hands. "What's wrong? What—

Looking him over, she then saw the knife lodged in his back. Hermione let go a shuttering breath as she pressed her forehead to his. "You have to stay with me," she breathed. "Please, please don't leave me."

Despite her words, she could already see he was fading. "You are so—so beautiful," he said. "I'm so happy I got to save you."

Softly, Hermione pressed her lips against his in a gentle kiss before reaching behind him and pulling the knife from his back. The defected King's Guard taking his last breath before slumping over in her lap.

Tears falling down her cheek, Hermione gritted out the frustration of the burden which was placed on her shoulders before dropping the bloody knife to the bottom of the boat. Then grabbing the wooden paddles herself, Hermione began the tedious journey away from King's Landing alone.