Meeting Mom

I awoke around seven o' clock in the morning, feeling refreshed and content. This is the day that I'm not only anxious about, but somehow overly excited for.

Slipping out of bed, I walk to the bathroom where I freshen up for the day. After cleansing my face and brushing my teeth, I realize that it had slipped my mind to call my parents. I was supposed to call them when I first arrived yesterday.

I reach over the counter to grab the landline. The line buzzed a couple of times before my mom picked up.

"Hello?," my mom asked in quizzical tone. I guess the strange number threw her off.

"Hey, mom. I was just calling to let you know I had made it to Cali. I'm all settled in. Oh and I already found a job! Well, in the process of. I have to see her today. Sorry for forgetting to call you yesterday. It just slipped my mind. I guess I was just so caught up in getting everything straight."

"Oh, honey. That's great! And don't worry about forgetting to call. Your father and I understand that you're busy and have a life of your own. I guess that's really why you moved to California in the first place. You were always so independent-," I cut her off, chuckling softly.

"You're rambling, mom. Moving to Cali was always a dream of mine. And it feels great to know that I've achieved that. I just wanted to let you know that I made it safely. You don't have to worry about me."

I heard a struggling sigh from the other side. "I know, I know. You will do great things in this world. I love you, honey. Stay safe for me."  I could tell she was getting choked up, which didn't help me. I always end up crying whenever my mom cries.

"I love you too, mom. Take care of yourself and dad." And just like that, the line went dead.

Sighing to myself, I force my legs to propel my body up, so that I can prepare for the day. I set aside my outfit, which consisted of a modest pencil skirt, a blouse, and comfortable heels to start on my makeup and hair. After an hour, I'm done with everything. All I have to do now is put on my clothes and leave.

The address was only about 30 minutes from my apartment, which was beneficial for me.

I put my car in park and strolled up to the door to knock. A few seconds after knocking, a middle-age woman came to the door.

"Hello. You must be Autumn. I'm glad you're here early. Come on in! Can I get you anything?"

"No, I'm fine. Thank you for asking."

"Alright. Let's get started. Full name, age, phone number, and why do you want this job."

I retrieved a card from my purse that included all my personal information and gave it to her. I figured one day it would come in handy and what do you know? This is that one day.

"My name is Autumn Leigh Clarke. I'm 18. My cell phone number is posted on the back of that card. I want this job because I deal great with other people, especially autistic people as I have two sisters that have autism. Plus, as you know, I just moved here and I am in desperate need of extra money and just a little economic stability."

"Very well. You seem like a good person. You're hired as of now. I will be sticking around though for your first few days. That way, you're not completely thrown to the wolves and you get a little familiar with my son's habits."

"Thank you so much! Now who exactly am I taking care of?"

"That's the thing. He's 18. He's my son. My only son."

She introduced me to him. He's so attractive. Oh my god what am I saying. I'm supposed to be taking