Chapter 22 : Keeping secrets

I finally arrived home at 9. I parked Mia's car in the driveway and got out. I unlocked the door and pushed the door opened slowly as I saw the lights were already out. My mom and Mia were probably be snoring right now.

I went inside and tried to make my way upstairs on my tip toes so that I wouldn't wake them up. When I was half the way up, I heard the sound of the door to my sister's room opening and she came out of her room. She stood in my way with her arms crossed. Crap! I'm as good as dead.

"Where have you been?" she sounded serious.

"I...I was...ummm..." I mumbled. My voice was getting shaky and my hands were sweating.

"Spit it out, Camila."

"Okay. I was at a friend's house. He had an emergency and needed my help." I blurted.

"Your friend is a he? Who's this friend of yours?" she asked. The way she said the word 'he', it was like some kind of poison or something.

"This friend is...Well...His name is Justin Walker and he's British. He got drunk earlier today because of me so his friend called me to come and talk to him. That's all." I clarified.

"Well well well, I didn't know you've made a friend with an English boy. How come never told me that before?" she seemed curious. Why is that? I thought she would be mad at me.

"I was afraid that you'll be mad at me." I dropped my gaze.

"Why would I be mad at you?" she shook her head.

"You know...Because...He's a none muslim perhaps."

"Hey. Look at me, little sis." she lifted my chin up.

"I'm not gonna be mad at you for being friends with a none muslim boy." she said and my smile began to widen.

"But..." she put her index finger in front of my face.

"I'll be okay but as long as you didn't do anything that's haram with him. Do you understand?" she looked me in the eyes.

"I promise." I smiled and hugged her tightly.

"I'll hold on to that." she said and I released her.

"Where's mom? Did she ask about me?" talking about mom sent shivers down my spine.

"She's already asleep. I made an excuse for you. Everything's fine." she smiled. Oh my God! What would I do without Mia? She always had my back on everything.

"Hey, thanks. I owe you big one." I took her hands in mine.

"Definitely." she smirked.

"I think we should go to bed." she yawned.

"Yea. Good night." I said and went inside my room to get some sleep.

***************

"Hey, Camila!" Derin said, wrapping her arm around my shoulders.

"Hey, girl. How's class?"

"Boring as hell." she rolled her eyes and I giggled.

"Really? Awww. Let's go get some lunch." I teased her and we headed towards the cafe.

Derin and I went to the cafe to get some lunch but Adam wasn't with us today. He had to stay in class a little longer to work on his school project. I dropped my lunch tray on the table and plopped down next to Derin.

I saw Justin was chatting with his group of friends. He looked at me and a cute smile formed on his lips. Justin Walker smiled at me? Where's the self-satisfied and smirky one?

He dug out his phone from his pocket. He was typing something on his phone probably a text to someone. I didn't know who it is and didn't care who it is. Maybe.

A few seconds later, I heard my phone buzzing in my pocket and dug it out. I saw a text from the number that Justin used to call me last night. I unlocked my phone to read the text.

Hey! Can we talk? Meet me in the library at 4. I'll see you later, Camila! ;)
- Justin

I bit my lip in anticipation and found myself grinning like a schoolgirl.

"Who's that?" Derin asked, taking a gulp of her orange juice. She probably noticed that I was grinning to myself like an idiot.

"It's Justin." I said and she immediately spit out her juice.

"Astaghfirullah! Are you okay, Derin?" I rubbed her back.

"I'm okay. Just..." she seemed nervous. I knew that she wanted to tell me something but it didn't come out. What is she trying to hide from me?

"What?"

"Nothing. Why is that jerk texting you for? Do you like him?" she tried to change the subject.

"Don't be silly. Of course not." I practically lied. Okay. Maybe I was beginning to like him. There, I've admitted it to myself. I couldn't hide from my feelings anymore. I've never felt like this before. I find him attractive, very attractive. He still remained a jerk despite the stunning appearance of his.