"We may not be bound by blood, but royalty is a burden that only a privileged few can share. That is a bond closer than friends." Prince Jasreth said smoothly.

"You are a silver-tongued fox, my lord." Estelle smiled, her interest piqued, "It's often said that we must keep our friends close, and our enemies closer." She sipped her mead, "I wonder which you are destined to be."

Jasreth smiled, "Whatever you desire, cousin." Estelle rolled her eyes and waved her hand, "I will not talk politics today, enjoy the festival."  The three of them bowed and left the royal presence.

Anera steered Jasreth to the side, her grip on his arm like a vice, "I told you to shut your mouth. You'll pay for this." She had taken her hand off of him for a second and it had almost caused a disaster. Swiftly, she drew up her light magic and bound her to him again, making it impossible to move out of her grasp.

Anera gripped her handkerchief nervously and looked to Lord Norian. He muttered down on her, "The entire court has seen our exchange?"

Anera nodded imperceptibly, "They know that both of you are here now."

"Good. Remember, when the Queen dies, it must look like Prince Jasreth did it." His voice was low. He gave a small smile to his brother, "How do you like the death I planned for you, brother? It will be glorious."

"I'd rather be alive, if it's all the same to you." Prince Jasreth said calmly.

Lord Norian smiled, "Once this city is under my control, I will know every move of that wretched Killian." He tried to look sad, but failed, "Brother, I will miss you. But fear not, your younger brother will join you soon."

Prince Jasreth stared at him coolly and said nothing. Anera looked around nervously, "When will your mage arrive?"

Norian patted her hand, "Soon, my dear. Soon "

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Philip, where is your friend?" Queen Estelle asked, a little annoyed. She read a note that her attendant had passed her with a frown. Prince Philip shrugged, "You're the Queen of Spies, not me."

The steward struck his staff once.

In the wings of the grand staircase, Miri looked at Cybelline with excitement and nervousness, "How do I look?"

Cybelline smiled at her sister, "A vision."

It was true, for Miri had become a radiant young woman. She had told Cybelline that the infusion of magic from the red flower broke through the spells that kept her a child. The magical land in the ring protected her as the magical transfusion took hold, keeping her safe until she was able to control her own powers.

Tonight she accompanied Cybelline to the ball, eager to see the outside world. Ithos had grumbled, but Myrai had smiled at her daughters and agreed.

Cybelline held out her arm, "Let's go." Miri smiled and took it as they stepped into the room.

The room opened and the steward announced, "Lord Cyrus"

Heads turned, the news of the newly made favorite and spread around the city like wildfire, everyone was curious about the youth that had stolen, if temporarily, the Queen's Heart.

He dressed simply in a light tunic that drew out those devilishly green eyes, a contrast to the true flame of his hair. His features were delicate, but not effeminate. He moved with confidence, a half smile playing at his lips. There was something about him that promised danger and adventure, it was intoxicating to anyone who walked with death.