Thirty-Three - Linkin

With my glasses on, I stared down at the paper I was writing on as message after message appeared to me. It was strange, but I was quickly getting used to the sensation. "So, do you have a plan?" Nita asked, seeming bored with our long flight to Russia.

"Yes," I said vaguely as I continued writing my note to Thierry explaining how I was okay, the trip was well, there had been no turbulence so far. It was a boring conversation, but I assumed that he didn't want to ask the questions he wanted.

"Are you going to tell me?" Nita pressed.

I rolled my eyes. "Like you were so honest with me."

"I never said I knew where Oasis Russia was. You were in my head, you should have known that. You just assumed they trusted me with secrets and what-not." She let out a huff. Evidently, she too was growing tired of all the arguing. "But if I am going to risk my life, I deserve to know what we're doing."

I scribbled down a quick message to Thierry that I'd be right back and dropped the pencil. I let out a sigh and glanced to Nita. "I'm going to call Doctor A once we land. You're going to say that you and Celestia were attacked by us, she died, but you managed to reprogram me with code word traveler."

Nita simply stared at me, blinking for a moment as she ran her fingers through her long blonde hair. "Code word traveler? I don't even know what that means," she objected.

"You better sell that lie better to Doctor A then."

Silence fell between us and I relaxed at the sound of the engines and I glanced out the window and into the dark skies we flew in. I had no idea who was watching me right now, so I closed my eyes and laid back attempted to catch a few moments of peace.

󠁌♟♙♟♙

"You ever think where you'd be now if things would've been different?" Nita asked, finally breaking the silence as the pilot announced our descent into Russia.

I hesitated, caught off guard by her question, and slowly nodded. "It's hard not to. I can certainly admit that I never imagined my life going this way."

We both let out a weak, nervous laugh. "Me either," she started to say, leaning back in her chair. The private jet was large, but at this moment, it didn't feel big enough. "When I first got the job at Dell Island, it sounded like a dream come true. I had no idea what it'd all lead to." She glanced at me apologetically. "I think if who I was ten years ago could see me now, she'd wish me dead."

That statement lingered for a second. "See, it's ironic, ten years ago I wished to be dead. Now I have endless reasons to live."

"You just got married, didn't you? Why are you the one doing all this, why not someone more... expendable?"

I scoffed and I couldn't help but smile. "That's the problem. Would you have ever thought any life was expendable a decade ago?"

"I guess not." I could see her entire body tensing some. "But you have a husband now, a life. Why not send Four? She has no one."

It was strange to see her so confused. She had a sweet smile and kind blue eyes, but I questioned if there was an humanity left inside her. "She has us," I said firmly. "But I know what you mean. I'm married, I just adopted a child, I have a lot to lose. I guess that's one reason it has to be me. I have a reason to fight to get home. Would Four just give up, would she break like Celestia and Yulian after they were left behind, thinking they were forgotten by their friends?" I smiled and glanced down at my note pad of replies to Thierry. "Thierry flew across Europe for me and kicked open a door, weapons in hand because Ira had called him. Even when I was brainwashed, I knew Thierry would come for me." If I had thought he was alive.

Nita simply stared as the ground slowly started to come into sight, along with lights of a city. "He really loves you, doesn't he?"

I nodded. "He does. We've been through a lot together." I glanced back out the window and bit my lip. "I'd be lying if I said I wish it wasn't me, but the worst thing that could happen to whoever it was who decided to go to Russia isn't death. It's torture. I'm uniquely qualified to handle any advanced tactics they try on me."

Her head tilted, the curious scientist showing itself from within her. "You look into people's heads. They wear gloves and you aren't a problem." It was more of a question than a statement.

"I'm so much more than what I was on Dell Island. I'm not just a human lie detector, but the synapses between my tactile senses are under my control now. I can choose to feel, I can choose not to. I can choose to cause pain, or not." Nita stared at me, shifting uncomfortably. "If I am to be tortured, I won't feel a thing, and they won't even know I'm in their minds."