Three - Linkin

"What?" I dared to whisper as Ira pulled me out of the room. I was dazed from my sleep and my heart raced in concern. "Don't tell me..." I inhaled sharply and took a step back. My back hit the wall and I closed my eyes. "Don't tell me he's dead."

Ira stayed quiet and it was only when I looked at her through teary eyes did she say anything. "I am so sorry Linkin, we tried," she attempted to console me.

She reached a hand out and I jerked away from her touch like it was fire. "Don't! You promised you'd protect him!" I was now the one shouting. "I told Thierry we shouldn't have come here, and-"

"Wait!" Ira objected, her hands raised in the air. "Thierry? Linkin, Thierry is fine. Nazem is dead."

All emotion left me and I let out a sigh of relief. "Good."

"Good?" I now noticed Ira's shoulders tense were as she stared at me; she was more terrified than me.

I didn't know if it was the relief of Thierry being alive, but I didn't mourn the loss of Nazem. "It wasn't like we were going to give him to Asmar anyways," I pointed out as I shook my head. "That'd make us just as bad as Oasis. We were going to find another way. The plan hasn't changed," I told her gently, reaching out for her with a weak smile. "I know you tried. It's okay."

I ran a hand along her arm and she sighed, slowly nodding her head. "That isn't our only problem..." she started off and began to explain. The twins were with Four, and the other two seemed to be just as brainwashed as I was when I had left Alaska. Ira told me the plan, act like we were from the Oasis Project until we could get their brains unscrambled, hopefully, get some more information about Oasis along the way.

"This would be so much easier if we had Emma..." I admitted after a long pause of silence. Ira went tense again at the mention of Emma.

"I was thinking the same thing," a weak Mato said from behind us, making me jump.

"Mato, Anaba," I grinned, glad to see that they were okay. They looked confused, a tad bit tired, but otherwise unharmed. "How are you?"

Mato and Annaba exchanged one of their silent looks. "Where's Emma?" he asked instead.

I glanced back down the hall as Four peered down, watching the twins with her arms crossed. "She didn't tell you? They didn't tell you?" They shook their heads at the same time. "Then I am sorry to tell you, she's dead."

"What...?" I could only watch Mato's heartbreak.

"I am so sorry. She never made it through our last mission. Our vehicle was attacked; she died in the crash." I glanced to Ira who slowly slid into the meeting room with Four. I shook my head when she abandoned me. "She didn't suffer if that helps any."

Mato wrapped his arms around his sister as he cried, my head falling some. "It doesn't," he hissed venomously. I couldn't blame him; I had just attacked Ira for thinking Thierry died only moments ago. "How are you still alive?" He blamed me.

"They wanted me," I wasn't ashamed to admit. There is nothing he could say to me which I hadn't already thought about myself. "It was people from before I was taken by the Oasis Project. They needed me for an oncoming war in the Middle East."

"Tina, everything okay?" Thierry said behind me and I smiled faintly, then realized what this might have looked like. It was too late as my fiance came up behind me, wrapping his arms around me and kissing my head. "You're the new recruits?"

The poor man was oblivious. "Who is this?" Anaba said with narrowed eyes.

It was hard to feel happy that Thierry was alright, minus a limp. "This is Thierry, my fiance," I said gingerly and turned around to look at Thierry. "Go find Stuart and the others, tell them you're the new Three, from Russia. If they ask questions, tell them that your mutation is what Yulian has." Thierry looked confused, but nodded and took a step back. "I'll be there in a minute," I promised as I kissed his cheek.

Thierry nodded, waving awkwardly at the twins. "Nice meeting you, but duty calls."

The twins didn't share the same sentiment. "So his girlfriend is dead because of you and you get your happy ever after?" Anaba didn't hold back any punches.

"Look," I started sharply, but quickly cooled my tone. "I am sorry she died and I know it is my fault, but we will have time to grieve once Oasis is destroyed."

The twins stayed silent and I could only imagine what they were saying. Anaba glared at me and finally spat, "Just go." They didn't have to tell me twice. I sighed and nodded, headed down the hall, away from the room I had just sent Thierry into.