Six - Ira

I shifted my weight so that more light could hit my eyes. Snow was collecting on my lashes, and the thick forest didn't allow much moonlight through the foliage. Still, the plump snowshoe hare didn't stand a chance.

I picked up the lifeless lump of fur and tied it awkwardly to my belt - there was already another one there making my steps heavy. I didn't expect to be getting dinner for everyone, but it looked like I was. Sighing, I began to make my way back to the lights. I still felt like a fireball after arguing with Linkin, but I knew I shouldn't be out in this weather for long in the outfit I ran out with.

The empty howl of the wind followed me wherever I went, but as I got to the edge of the woods, so did an obnoxiously loud bird. I made my steps louder, hoping to scare it away, but it didn't stop its infuriating call. After a few minutes, I finally had enough. "Ah, fuck you!" I growled, turning around to shoot it. It fell in an instant and was caught between branches, which I freed its warm body from. Inspecting the corpse, I was too angry to feel pity for the fat thing with wings. I took the bird back to the prison, not bothering to drop off my shotgun because my hands were full. Somewhere along the way, I heard Desmond telling Celestia that I was a psychopath and that she should stay away from me. If he was here, he would be dead ten times over.

Thierry and Stuart were in the kitchen, cutting up vegetables when I walked in with a glare. I didn't want to talk to anyone, but I greeted them both with a curt nod before dumping the bird and rabbits on the counter. "You're welcome."

I knew how I looked. My hands were covered in animal blood, and snow was melting into my hair and clothes. I unhooked the shotgun from my body and headed back out into the hallway, suddenly feeling exhausted. With the new task of skinning and plucking ahead of them, neither of the two men followed me as I dragged myself upstairs. I was grateful for the space, but it also made me uncomfortable knowing that the brainwashed recruits were around here somewhere. I hid the gun under my bed and went for a warm shower, making a mental note to ask Four about where everyone's rooms were.

A polite knock sounded on my door while I was towelling my hair, wrapped up in a blanket. "Come in," I said, yawning and not wanting to move.

Stuart entered the room, bringing in a waft of delicious food. His glasses were pushed to the crown of his head as he rubbed his eyes. "I won't ask, because Linkin is going to tell us tomorrow," he began.

"That's stellar," I replied sarcastically, trying to not unload all my anger onto an innocent Stuart. "What happened to cooking?"

"Dinner will be ready soon. We were wondering if you were hungry enough to join us." Stuart wanted to add something to that but held back after seeing my mood. "Looks like you're only hungry for blood... Linkin's. Please don't."

Sighing, I looked down. "She could have told me that there was going to be a change of plans." When Stuart blinked and sat on the edge of the bed, I added, "Okay, did Yulian say anything about what she did being a terrible idea? Or was he just hungry?"

"Ira, it's okay, slow down." Stuart reached out for my hand, and I couldn't help but notice how warm he was compared to me. That warmth travelled up my arm and relaxed my body a little. "What's a bad idea? That she's about to tell everyone?"

I shook my head furiously. I was starting to get cold in a grey tank top, and I pulled the blanket up to my bare shoulders. "She blew an opportunity for a plan B. Digs her own grave, I swear." The whole story came tumbling out, just like Yulian has wanted. Stuart listened carefully, frowning when I told him about Linkin telling Asmar "the truth". I huffed. "Am I the only person who thought that was a terrible move? If Linkin agreed to something stupid now that Nazem's dead..."

Stuart sighed and passed me my sweater. "You're right; especially with a situation like that, you should always keep your options open." It was something that I would have never expected to hear from Stuart two years ago. "But you would have pulled it off; would Linkin? Maybe she knew her limits well, and this is the best way for her, you know?"

"She is a terrible liar." I rolled my eyes, remembering when she tried to hide things from me.

"Let's not get too mean here." Stuart chuckled, which made me smile. "Seems to be an One thing, taking everyone's burden. Four does it too. You both care a lot for everyone, I know that, but there's a difference between helping someone and making their problem yours."

"Thank you." I nodded, pulling him into an embrace. I still disagreed with how Linkin handled Asmar, but my heart was less heavy now.

"Love you, Ira," Stuart said, pecking me on the cheek.

"Can't say I hate you." I grinned, returning his affection. "Yep, I'll stop covering up my emotions. You don't have to remind me. I love you too."

Stuart pulled me close to his warm chest again and drew in a breath to say something before he was interrupted by knocking on my door. We pulled away like lightning, in case we had to act like Oasis people again.

"Okay?" Yulian asked from behind the door, clearly not listening in. He was more respectful than I would have been if I had his mutation, tuning out unless he had to.

"What am I needed for again?" I asked Stuart as I opened the door.

"Yulian and I thought it would be a good idea to celebrate Linkin and Thierry's engagement," Stuart said, trying to find Yulian behind me. "The oven worked alright?"

"Cake is ready," Yulian said proudly. "Ira, are you hungry?"

"Sure." Seeing Yulian beam over the fact that I was joining them made me forget that I was annoyed at him for siding with Linkin earlier. I walked out of the room in my bare feet before pausing. "Yulian, you're not in your stupid tux; there's no dress code for this, is there?"

"No blood," Stuart said behind me, wrapping an arm around my waist and laughing.

"That's terrible." But I had to admit, it was funny.